UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: CindyC72 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1043  
Subject: Help - Glendale? Date: 1/14/2008 12:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Well, it looks like I'll be moving to Phx to look after my elderly grandmother. Just in the beginning stages of the whole thing, but it looks like there are affordable apartment options in the Glendale area.

Problem is, I have no idea what the area is like. When I was out there over the holidays, I never got out of Sun City.

So, is Glendale your average suburban area, or a area you wouldn't go near unless heavily armed?

Cindy
Print the post Back To Top
Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1011 of 1043
Subject: Re: Help - Glendale? Date: 1/14/2008 3:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
In general, the farther north you go, the better (I like the Bell Road and Union Hills Rd areas myself). And a few miles west of I-17 is recommended, too. I'd recommend either the city of Peoria (just north of Glendale) or if you do go with Glendale, I'd go with something a few miles west of I-17, maybe closer to the 101 loop on the west side. The area near Glendale Ave and I-17 is a bit iffy. I used to work near there, and there was a hooker who 'worked' in the parking lot of our building. I also had my wallet stolen out of a church near there, by someone who apparently just walked in and started going through my stuff when I was out of the room. The I-17 corridor as a whole is not a favorite area of mine. If you don't mind going farther west, I've seen nice neighborhoods in areas near 100th Ave. That would put you closer to Sun City, too. Make sure you're not on top of Cardinal Stadium (game day traffic).

Author: XWordPhile Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1012 of 1043
Subject: Re: Help - Glendale? Date: 1/14/2008 7:51 PM
You may want to consider the hipness factor, too. It's getting better, with the new stadium, but in general there's not as much to do on the west side. I don't think of crime when I think of Glendale (the area that feedme was referring to is actually in Phoenix, not Glendale); I think of antique stores. Though they do have a big mall and are getting some boutiques and independent restaurants.

AFAIK, Glendale and the surrounding suburbs are all fairly safe, quiet bedroom communities (except for all those senior drivers). Pricewise, the west valley is cheaper than the east valley and Phoenix.

Ellen

Author: martybl Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1013 of 1043
Subject: Re: Help - Glendale? Date: 1/14/2008 11:23 PM
is Glendale your average suburban area, or a area you wouldn't go near unless heavily armed?

It varies, depending on what part of Glendale you're talking about. If you pull out a Phoenix area map, Glendale is tall and skinny and looks sort of like the numeral "1" turned backwards. As a gross generalization, the neighborhoods get better the further north you go.

Up at the top, at about 67th Ave. and the Loop 101, you've got Arrowhead Ranch and Arrowhead Lakes, with nice houses for significantly less than an identical house in Scottsdale, www.arrowheadranchliving.com . There's a serviceable mall, www.arrowheadtownecenter.com , and assorted chain restaurants.

I'm most familiar with the middle portion of Glendale, around Thunderbird Road, where it's only sixteen blocks wide from 51st to 67th Ave. We have an office next to Banner Thunderbird Hospital, a very busy hospital. The surrounding area is mostly well-kept but modest homes, although there's at least one gated community with million dollar homes. I never give safety a second thought in this area. There was an article in the AZ Republic a few years ago about the surprising number of millionaires in one of these zip codes - sort of the "Millionaire Next Door" types.

Further south, around Glendale Ave., is the historic downtown, which is pretty and kind of quaint, www.downtownglendale.com , www.historic-glendale.net , www.visitglendale.com and www.glendaleaz.com . A little more congested and out of the way, but I feel perfectly safe there.

Camelback Road is the southern border of most of Glendale. The Southeast corner IS pretty scary, bordering the Maryvale section of Phoenix. I have to go there once in awhile. Nothing bad has ever happened to me, but it's an area where I keep my guard up, and I wouldn't choose to live there.

Further west, the new sports facilities, www.universityofphoenixstadium.com , where the Super Bowl will be played this year, and www.jobingarena.com , dominate the area. This area is much newer than the southeastern portion of Glendale. They're encouraging the development of post-game nightlife venues in this area, though the jury's still out on whether that will take.

Good luck and keep us posted,

martybl

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement