Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TDMENEUF Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 55816  
Subject: Help, I need an idea here Date: 11/9/2000 4:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I teach a Pre-school hour where I work and next week we are doing Guinea Pigs. We have one at the center and we will talk about her life and foods, etc.

I always try to send home a pamphlet type thing with extra activities and such for the parents to do through out the week.

We had an idea for an edible Guinea Pig, but can't come up with something suitable for the body. We can use coconuts or shredded carrots for the hair and raisins for the eyes and licorice or pretzels for the legs but have no clue for the body.

Any ideas? One person suggested a potato, but that is not edible raw and if they don't eat the craft, how would I be able to preserve the potato so it wouldn't get all mushy? Any ideas?

Deannda
And no we are not looking for exotic recipes for Guinea Pig ;-Þ
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPokey Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12526 of 55816
Subject: Re: Help, I need an idea here Date: 11/9/2000 5:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hey Deannda,

How about refrigerator cookie dough? They have recipes on http://cookierecipe.com.

My mom used to make good ones with peanut butter, honey, and flour -- maybe a few other ingredients, can't remember. That would be good though, because you could mold it into any shape you wanted.

Becky

Author: maddiemcwa Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12527 of 55816
Subject: Re: Help, I need an idea here Date: 11/9/2000 5:24 PM
Hi, Deannda

How about a couple of large cookies..you could use peanut butter as a filling between them, so the "legs" can be attached, and smear it on top as well to hold the "hair".

Now, if it's at home, why not the potato? Baked, gently split & mashed a little, then cooled a bit. Then they could add shredded cheese hair and olive eyes...

You make me miss having pre-schoolers!

Madeline

Author: TMFExRO Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12533 of 55816
Subject: Re: Help, I need an idea here Date: 11/9/2000 6:52 PM
Recommendations: 4
We had an idea for an edible Guinea Pig, but can't come up with something suitable for the body.

At last we've discovered why Hostess started making Sno-Balls.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti

Author: TDMENEUF Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12538 of 55816
Subject: Re: Help, I need an idea here Date: 11/9/2000 8:07 PM
At last we've discovered why Hostess started making Sno-Balls.

TMF ExRO

LOL! Those would be perfect! Now I just have to find a really good sale on them. Despite my success lately, I'm still very limited on the money I can put out.

Deannda
Checking out the ads, or better yet, have hubby check with vendors!

Author: Beejayw1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12539 of 55816
Subject: Re: Help, I need an idea here Date: 11/9/2000 9:19 PM
Any ideas? One person suggested a potato, but that is not edible raw and if they don't eat the craft, how would I be able to preserve the potato so it wouldn't get all mushy? Any ideas?

Get a can of Boston Brown Bread, take it from the can, and do some 'carving' to approximate the body. Not large, so you might need to get 2 or 3.

Beej

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12544 of 55816
Subject: Re: Help, I need an idea here Date: 11/10/2000 1:44 AM
We had an idea for an edible Guinea Pig, but can't come up with something suitable for the body. We can use coconuts or shredded carrots for the hair and raisins for the eyes and licorice or pretzels for the legs but have no clue for the body.

How about a chocolate Easter Egg? Or maybe a few of the mini-muffins held together with frosting? Maybe a small loaf pan not filled completely? Maybe a small jelly roll?

Author: PJVB One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12547 of 55816
Subject: Re: Help, I need an idea here Date: 11/10/2000 4:56 AM

This reminds me of a Bunny Rabbit Salad we used to do at Easter time. You take canned pear halves and lay them on lettuce with the round side up. The bigger end is the rabbit's rear end, so you put a dollop of cottage cheese for the tail. At the front end, use a red-hot or other small red candy for the nose, raisins for the eyes, and almonds for the ears. Don't remember how we did the whiskers.

So, would half a canned pear work? Or half a canned peach, covered with the carrot hair? Obviously we wouldn't be worrying about the legs ("the guinea pig is resting").

- PJ

Author: TDMENEUF Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12548 of 55816
Subject: Re: Help, I need an idea here Date: 11/10/2000 8:00 AM
How about refrigerator cookie dough? They have recipes on http://cookierecipe.com.

Thanks Becky! What a great site, even if I don't use it this time, I will in the future!

Deannda
Still haven't decided, there are some great ideas here!

Author: TDMENEUF Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12549 of 55816
Subject: Re: Help, I need an idea here Date: 11/10/2000 8:01 AM
How about a couple of large cookies..you could use peanut butter as a filling between them, so the "legs" can be attached, and smear it on top as well to hold the "hair".

This is good too, my printer is working overtime today.

Deannda
I would have answered more last night, but my house gets nuts at times

Author: TDMENEUF Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12550 of 55816
Subject: Re: Help, I need an idea here Date: 11/10/2000 8:02 AM
Get a can of Boston Brown Bread, take it from the can, and do some 'carving' to approximate the body. Not large, so you might need to get 2 or 3.

I've never heard of Boston Brown Bread! I'll have to check around and see if I can find some.

Thanks

Deannda
I knew I could count on this board :)

Author: TDMENEUF Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12551 of 55816
Subject: Re: Help, I need an idea here Date: 11/10/2000 8:03 AM
How about a chocolate Easter Egg? Or maybe a few of the mini-muffins held together with frosting? Maybe a small loaf pan not filled completely? Maybe a small jelly roll?

Wow, I hadn't thought of any of these! I would probably go with Large Muffins if I use that idea since Mattie is pretty big.

Deannda
Going to be experiementing at home this weekend!

Author: TDMENEUF Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12552 of 55816
Subject: Re: Help, I need an idea here Date: 11/10/2000 8:04 AM
. The bigger end is the rabbit's rear end, so you put a dollop of cottage cheese for the tail. At the front end, use a red-hot or other small red candy for the nose, raisins for the eyes, and almonds for the ears. Don't remember how we did the whiskers.

I love this! This just might work too! Thanks!

Deannda
Who might have a couple different options open to the kids

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12553 of 55816
Subject: Re: Help, I need an idea here Date: 11/10/2000 8:37 AM
We had an idea for an edible Guinea Pig, but can't come up with something suitable for the body.

How about a loaf of bread, say pumpernickel?

C.J.V.

Author: redsavina Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12559 of 55816
Subject: Re: Help, I need an idea here Date: 11/10/2000 10:25 AM
How about really thick hummus? You could mold it into a guinea pig shape, and it would be safe at room temperature until the kids ate it.

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12593 of 55816
Subject: Re: Help, I need an idea here Date: 11/11/2000 2:00 AM
How would you feel about eating a food that had been prepared using human milk instead of cow's milk?

I think B&M is about the only commercial manufacturer of Boston Brown Bread. It's usually in the aisle with the beans, but you may have to ask someone if the store carries it. It's a great idea. Brown Bread is a very heavy, thick bread so it would be very easy to carve.
BTW, the easiest way to get it out of the can is to cut both ends off and slide it out pushing one of the can ends against it.
2 points to Beej. :-)

Author: MissLynn Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12626 of 55816
Subject: Re: Help, I need an idea here Date: 11/13/2000 2:15 PM
One of the best stiffeners/sweeteners for peanut butter is powdered sugar. Lightly sift it in, and mix until it is stiff. I don't remember the exact proportions.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement