Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: pree2004fool One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 6776  
Subject: Help in highschool subjects Date: 5/23/2007 12:24 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi,

I wanted some advise for my daughter's high school my daughter is the first one in my family going to high school in US. So, I am totally new to American education system.

With my daughter's hard work she got into 4 honor subjects. She wanted to enroll in all 4 honors subjects. But I am afraid that she will not have any social life if she enrolls in all 4 honors subjects and may be it is difficult to maintain good GPA with all honors subjects.
Can you please share your opinion on how much work will be there in high school? How these honors subjects going to count for collage application requirements? If one takes more honors will they be more preferable for collage admissions? Will there be any preference for one subject over other, if she need to choose some? Whatif if she gets B's in all subject or in one or more, how that is going to effect in collage applications?

I really appreciate any advice.
Thanks in advance.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6674 of 6776
Subject: Re: Help in highschool subjects Date: 5/23/2007 7:39 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Can you please share your opinion on how much work will be there in high school? How these honors subjects going to count for collage application requirements? If one takes more honors will they be more preferable for collage admissions? Will there be any preference for one subject over other, if she need to choose some? Whatif if she gets B's in all subject or in one or more, how that is going to effect in collage applications?

It depends on the high school but in general, if she can get a B or better in an honors course, it's better to take the honors courses. Colleges do look at whether a student has challenged themselves by taking the harder courses and in some high schools, honors grades count higher than normal grades in a student's average.

As to picking among the classes, if she had to choose, I would go with the honors classes in her stronger subjects.

If she's just beginning high school, be sure to go to any orientation program - both parent and student. They often tell you how much time to expect to spend on homework. Also, be sure to go to the back to school night because the teachers will often give you specific information on the amount of work in each class.

Hope this helps !

rad

Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6675 of 6776
Subject: Re: Help in highschool subjects Date: 5/23/2007 8:40 AM

My kids are sophomores in high school and according to their guidance department, colleges want to see a child be challenged and do well in their courses. That means that a college would prefer to see an A or a B in an Accelerated course over a C in an Honors course because that would mean the child is challenged enough and is working to their capacity.

Neither of my kids are in Honors classes, and that's fine with me. I notice that the kids with Honors classes have an exceptional amount of work to do, and it seems to me that they spend more time doing that and have little time for other things. In our school, Honors classes are more self-directed, so if your daughter is independent and a self-directed student, she will do fine. This may be something you want to ask the guidance department.

I think that 4 Honors courses is a lot, so you might want to see what those are in. For instance, if she wants to go into engineering, then having Honors Math and Science would be good, but Honors Social Studies won't add much, so perhaps she could ratchet down on that one.

Personally, I wouldn't go above 3 Honors courses for the work load, but you know your child and should decide if she can handle it. I also think she should be able to change out of a class and drop down in the first few weeks of school. That's standard at most schools, but the challenge then becomes getting everything into her schedule.

Talk to Guidance some more about this. See if they can give you a few names of parents or students who have taken that many courses, and get their take on it. It might give you some more information with which to work and make a good decision. Make the decision be hers, though, so that she accepts whichever way she goes and is engaged in what she has to do.

Author: pree2004fool One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6677 of 6776
Subject: Re: Help in highschool subjects Date: 5/23/2007 11:31 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am really happy to receive exceptionally good replies. I will use information provided and contact the school counselor to take decision.

Thanks for all the valuable advice.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement