UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: oldblandy Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 151  
Subject: Help in setting up the Perfect Portfolio Date: 1/29/2011 6:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm a rather new member with exposure via MDP all access. I am trying to establish the right size of the portfolio to dedicate to the Global Gains philosophy. At the same time I am a little concerned based on some reading from various "experts" such as the following thinking from Schwab:

“We moved to a neutral view on emerging markets in November, concerned about high expectations and valuations. The addition of inflation worries and potential for lower capital inflows into these economies emboldens our conviction.

Emerging markets underperforming when viewing the following ratio: MSCI Emerging Markets Index relative to MSCI EAFE Index, which is in decline (approximately 7% with a deep slope downwards) since the end of the 2010 year

We still like the longer-term investment case, but emerging-market stocks are likely to remain in transition period accompanied by higher volatility until food supply shortages are reduced, monetary policy is sorted out and investors get visibility on growth rates.”

Even they suggest that we should be in this for the long haul and also advised to shift more to equities in general, but the question is the pace. Do you have suggested readings on the site or posts that you'd recommend in building this new portfolio? Also with the recent drop in the market on Friday and the unknown if it will continue in the short run I don't want to make large mistakes. I like the worksheet you developed and that is very handy but I think I may need a little more direction.

I'm in retirement and working my investment portfolio to live on so I do not want to be hasty. Also I am in the process like other members of making the shift from more US or developed countries to other outliers. Any help would be appreciated.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Brookfield Asset Management
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement