UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 20854  
Subject: help me fix this? Date: 9/22/2012 12:59 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm still kinda stuck on this. I think it has potential to be a really nice trip. But I'd like to figure out how to keep all train rides short enough that we spend most of the ride asleep (i.e. in a night/sleeper train). Of course, if there's something especially scenic we should be awake for, that's different.

I am thinking to arrive in Amsterdam and spend a few days there. See windmills, get a taste of the culture and food. Then over to Prague (15 hours??). Spend several days there. I like that it doesn't seem to be a major tourist destination, and it will be different from "biggies" like Amsterdam, Vienna, and Paris. I don't like 15 hours on the train, and I'd rather not fly. From Prague to Vienna. Spend maybe a week there. At least one day trip to Werfen. Enjoy the city and the Alps. Need to learn more about what to do there. Train to Switzerland (still debating where exactly...want some charm, some culture, and scenery(!)). That would be another long ride (about 10 hours), but probably manageable. And Paris has been requested, so plan on the better part of a week there (train from Switzerland). I actually don't have that much interest (I'm not into art museums), but I can always go for some culture and local food and sights. Then fly home.

The obvious solution is a midway stop in Germany to break up that first train ride. But where to stop that we could enjoy for a couple of days (as we aren't retired we can't extend this too long, and I don't want to do a day here and a day there...too hectic). Hanover? I know next to nothing about most of the towns I'm seeing on the map that are roughly 1/2 way to Prague. Except Buchenwald. I know that one. I'd love to visit the camp there (if it's still there), but not sure if others in my party would be as interested. (1poorlady feels sick when she sees stuff like that.)

Or maybe I need to re-route entirely?

Three weeks (plus or minus a couple of days) is my target.

TIA,
1poorguy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Kate Spade's Wild Ride
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement