UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: xhendro Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7822  
Subject: Help moving to Manhattan Date: 12/26/2001 1:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hey all, I am in search of some major help. I am moving to NY for school and work around the middle of January. I, however, have not found a place to stay at since i chose to pass on the overpriced dorm rooms. I need to stay somewhere in Manhattan since i will be working at SSB, and would like some help finding either a website or if anyone reading this knows or has a room for rent around of under $700 a month.
I am also interested in finding out if anyone knows of a good investment club or if anyone is interested in possible starting one in the Manhattan area?
Thanks for the help.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: DollarIQ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2855 of 7822
Subject: Re: Help moving to Manhattan Date: 12/26/2001 1:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Hi xhendro! Congrats on your new job and starting school in NY.

1) Investment Clubs; sorry, don't know any. I'm just barely quite starting myself.

2) Finding a room for rent under $700. I note your term of "room" and not "apartment." At that level, you definitely are looking for a roommate type situation; if you're in Manhattan, you might be sharing with possibly two roommates in relatively cramped quarters. If you are willing to look in the outer areas such as Queens (Astoria, Long Island City, or further say Flushing) and Brooklyn (Park Slope, Cobble Hill, and similar), it is quite possible to find better roommate situations. It is possible, but difficult, to find a studio for say $700, but often these are in neighborhoods that many consider unpopular. For example, I remember hearing of a small, studio apartment in the heart of Harlem, going for $785 (which was considered high for Harlem) because it was centrally located. I have a friend with a comfortable studio in Brooklyn going for $675, but it's pretty far in. If you look in small local newspapers in Queens or Brooklyn, there are some private homeowners (actual private homes) that are renting their basements or top floors, but you really have to look and scout.

Also, I don't know of any reliable websites that deal in the price range that you're looking for (most websites deal in the high end rents). Sorry.

Good luck, $IQ

Author: BRIANNR Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2856 of 7822
Subject: Re: Help moving to Manhattan Date: 12/26/2001 1:33 PM
Recommendations: 13
has a room for rent around of under $700 a month.

Try these links. Maybe finding a roommate is a consideration?

http://www.citi-habitats.com/
http://www.ardorny.com/
http://realestate.nytimes.com/rentals/List_Listings.asp

br

Author: DollarIQ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2857 of 7822
Subject: Re: Help moving to Manhattan Date: 12/28/2001 12:56 PM
xhendro, while I was taking the subway into work this morning, I saw an ad on the train for apartment sublets or roommates. Here's the website:

http://www.thesublet.com

I cannot vouch for the site, but it's the first one that includes anything in your price range that I've noticed. Click first on "New York." Then, I suggest clicking on the apartment preference and select "room share" (as opposed to private apartment). When you click that, it will allow the price range option of "up to $750 a month" If you leave it at the default of "no preference" under apartment preference, it only has an "up to $1,500 a month" option.

I would also suggest that you might want to check various areas of the city (other boroughs), not just Manhattan. Long Island and Westchester might be too far for you.

Good luck, $IQ

Author: xhendro Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2858 of 7822
Subject: Re: Help moving to Manhattan Date: 12/28/2001 4:10 PM
Hey, thanks for the help. That site, thesublet.com, charges like a hundred bucks just to reply to the listings. A little too much for something that can't even guarontee my finding a place. I found some nice free listings on roommateservice.com. Thanks for the help though.

Author: DollarIQ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2859 of 7822
Subject: Re: Help moving to Manhattan Date: 12/28/2001 4:24 PM
Hey, thanks for the help. That site, thesublet.com, charges like a hundred bucks just to reply to the listings. A little too much for something that can't even guarontee my finding a place. I found some nice free listings on roommateservice.com. Thanks for the help though.

xhendro, yikes! I had no idea they charged that much to respond. Not too surprising, though. I remembered their ad pitched that their offerings included "no broker fees." Obviously they make up their own charge. Glad you found another site, roommateservice.com ; it sounds interesting and hope it will help.

Also, another general comment: a general rule of thumb is that the farther from Manhattan, or more inconvenient it is to travel to Manhattan (e.g., bus to a train, or no convenient public transportation otherwise) the cheaper a rental can be and often the better the neighborhood and cost of living. Please factor in commute time and convenience when trying to find cheap rent. Except for the transportation issue itself, you can often find very nice places to live for relatively reasonable rent.

For background, I live in a section of Queens which is pretty convenient by train, but is a dump of a neighborhood; it's relatively reasonable. If I moved up about a mile or so though, I'd have a much nicer neighborhood, about the same rent, but the commute would almost double because of the walking and bus required to get to the train.

Good luck, $IQ

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement