UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: bartsd Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 74759  
Subject: help on ideas for retirement fund opportunity Date: 9/19/2012 1:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm posting this in hopes of getting some feedback on my thoughts of using a bonus that I'm being offered for retirement.
Here's the background data first off:

I'm a government employee, age 35, who is being offered a $30k bonus (taxable) 5 years prior to retirement at 20 years of service.
If I accept the bonus, my retirement pay will be reduced from 50% of base income to 47% of base income. Normally it is reduced to 40%, however I have a weird circumstance where I broke service for a short period of time, but my pay counter continued. So at retirement of 20 years of service, I'll actually be getting 22 years of service in pay.

At the age of 62, my retirement pay will go back up to where it would have been, had I not taken the bonus. This will be reflected in an increase of 8% to 55% of base income. From there it will remain at 55% adjusting for inflation.

My plan so far, consists of dropping the money in to a mutual fund with the expectation of a 5% return rate. With the bonus taxable, I'm expecting somewhere around $22k. At the end of 20 years, with a 5% return rate, I estimate that the amount will then be $28,078.
For the first 5 years POST retirement, I plan on dropping the monthly retirement pay back in to the same account. At which point, at the end of 5 years, it should come out to around $140,269.

From there, I plan on just letting it sit and grow.

My questions are as follows:

Is there a better way?
Is there a way to deposit the money in to an account that is tax deferred, or non-taxable?

I welcome all suggestions.

Thank you

Bart
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement