Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi,
I have been trying to decide what funds I should put my 401K money into. I have had this account for a few years now and was spreading the money out in several funds. As I read more about mutual funds I realised the effect of the expense ratio and the fact that the returns I saw advertised were usually before expenses.

I have since elected to have all new money go to a fund that claims to track the S&P 500 (again before fees and expenses!) - Indexed Equity (see below). But I am still not sure that is the right decision.

Can someone suggest what I should do? The following are the choices provided by the 401K plan:

Guaranteed return 6.25% (This rate is modified periodically)
Core Bond Fund (MCBDX) (0.59%) (6.9%)
Balanced (MBLDX) (0.59%) (-6.77%)
Indexed Equity (MMIEX) (0.42%) (-13.01)
Spectrum Growth (PRSGX) (1.08%) (-9.83%)
Contrafund (FCNTX) (1.12%) (-14.81%)
Growth & Income (MIGYX) (0.66%) (-11.8%)
Ultra (TWCUX) (1.24%) (-16.62%)
Small Cap Value (MSCDX) (0.68%) (-0.22%)
International Equity (MIEDX) (1.07%) (-23.19%)

The number in brackets is the expense ratio followed by YTD return. I am tempted to move everything into the guaranteed fund with a current return of 6.25%. Is that a good idea for the long term?

What other mix, if any, would you suggest?

My second question is: Is it a good idea to transfer money now while the value is so low? Is that not like buying high and selling low?

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement