Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thank you everyone for the great posts on educational expenses. Here's a situation I would like insight on.

What if your employer paid for your MBA, justifying it as an "ordinary and necessary" expense. But now you decide not to return, meaning they want their money back. Assuming that this is a deductible expense, would you deduct the expense for the year you pay back your employer, or would you need to file amended returns for when you actually paid the school?

In that same note, is there anyway that your new employer can repay the old employer without the amount being taxable to the employee?

Thanks for your help, fools.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.