Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
In march I put a bunch of money in tech stocks right before the fall. To make matters worse, I did so with one of those full-price brokers, so I'm paying over $100 year in fees to boot. Since then I've seen the Foolish light.

I think I need to get out of those tech stocks and out of that high cost brokerage but the fact that they're down more than 20% makes me hestitate. Then I wondered if I could offset the loss with some tax savings. You see, I also made some money this year with some stock options ... short term gains that I expect to owe taxes on. The amount I'll owe in taxes is about twice the loss I see in the tech stocks portfolio.

Should I sell the tech stocks, declare a loss, and use it to offset my gains elsewhere? I'm worried about running afoul of wash sale rules or something similar. HELP!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.