UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: eric106 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75530  
Subject: HELP!401K rollover question Date: 5/15/1998 12:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Help! I recently rolled over my 401K into a IRA.
Can I know put $2000 a year into the IRA, even if
I contribute to a new 401K in a new company?
Can I put in the $2k if I don't start a new 401K?

Thanks. Eric
Print the post Back To Top
Author: johnron One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3318 of 75530
Subject: Re: HELP!401K rollover question Date: 5/15/1998 1:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Help! I recently rolled over my 401K into a IRA.
Yes IRA limit is for IRA's only. I think it will be a nondeductable IRA though.
Can I put in the $2k if I don't start a new 401K?

See above yes or both.

John L. an old fool

Author: PSUEngineerFool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3320 of 75530
Subject: Re: HELP!401K rollover question Date: 5/15/1998 2:00 PM
<<Help! I recently rolled over my 401K into a IRA.
Can I put in the $2k if I don't start a new 401K?>>

Yes, you can contribute $2000 to the IRA if you contribute or not contribute to a 401K at your new company. But you may not want to because the new contribution to the rollover IRA will taint the IRA. This means you can't rollover the IRA into your new 401K if you desire to do so. TMFPixy give a good explanation at the following link

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1040013000865005&sort=postdate

(I hope I got the link right)

Author: eric106 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3321 of 75530
Subject: Re: HELP!401K rollover question Date: 5/15/1998 2:50 PM
Thanks alot for that link and help fellow fools.

Having a self-directed IRA (for me) is so nice, I can't see why I would want to roll it into an employer 401K
if I had the chance.

To me it seems better to be able to add 2k a year to my
IRA (non-deductable if I have a 401K ...), and do with
it what I want.

Author: SteveK3 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3324 of 75530
Subject: Re: HELP!401K rollover question Date: 5/15/1998 4:20 PM
I agree that it is umlikely that you would want to roll the IRA back into a 401K plan, but who knows what magic the IRS, Congress, and other Wise peopel might bring forward. You can open a separate IRA for this new IRA money.

Steve

Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3327 of 75530
Subject: Re: HELP!401K rollover question Date: 5/15/1998 6:41 PM
Eric106 in two queries said:

<<Help! I recently rolled over my 401K into a IRA.
Can I put in the $2k if I don't start a new 401K?>>
And:

<< Having a self-directed IRA (for me) is so nice, I can't see why I would want to roll it into an employer 401K
if I had the chance.

To me it seems better to be able to add 2k a year to my
IRA (non-deductable if I have a 401K ...), and do with
it what I want.>>

Others have already told you that you may contribute $2K to an IRA, but chances are the traditional IRA route may not be deductible if you're a participant in a qualified retirement plan at your job. This year you can't deduct such contributions if you're single and have an AGI of $40K ($60K for joint filers). If that's the case, then certainly the Roth IRA is the best route for you to go. Using the traditional, nondeductible IRA by contributing to your rollover IRA won't give you the tax-free withdrawal advantage that the nondeductible Roth will.

As to keeping the rollover IRA separate, there are a number of good reasons to do so. As someone else pointed out, the future is an unknown. Sure, you can beat most 401k plans for returns in a self-directed IRA, but there's no reason I see not to keep your options open. It's only a small administrative hassle to have two IRAs, and it preserves your flexibility just in case you ever change your mind. Mix monies, though, and that option disappears forever.

Regards….Pixy

Author: eric106 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3330 of 75530
Subject: Re: HELP!401K rollover question Date: 5/15/1998 6:50 PM
Thanks to all the fools for your responses!

Eric

Author: silicon One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3334 of 75530
Subject: Re: HELP!401K rollover question Date: 5/16/1998 1:06 AM
<< Sure, you can beat most 401k plans for returns in a self-directed IRA, but there's no reason I see not to keep your options open. It's only a small administrative hassle to have two IRAs, and it preserves your flexibility just in case you ever change your mind. >>

For those of us who trade stocks it's inconvienient in the extreme to have these little "runt" IRAs running around. If you are in mutual funds then I agree.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement