No. of Recommendations: 0
Earlier this year my youngest son [age 24] was killed in an automobile accident. My wife and I have decided to use his life insurance benefit [$100K] to help his brother and wife move-up to a larger home. They have three kids with another on the way.

My wife is the beneficiary on my son's policy. What is the optimal way to handle this transfer? Other than gifting them the money, are there alternatives?

Should the money by used as a down-payment, or should a trust be set-up to provide income to offset the higher mortgage payment?

Print the post  


Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.