UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TTRoberts Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75805  
Subject: Re: eAnnuity Date: 10/27/1999 5:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Helter, you respond:

<< I beg to differ - there are many experienced and helpful folks on here who provide excellent advice. If you feel advice on this board is worthless - why are you posting? Sorry if I took this the wrong way - do you mean just in the case of Annuity choices? >>

No . . . I don't really mean just in the case of annuities. And yes, I am posting on boards like this . . . but I don't give "advise". I'll give information and my opinion as long as that opinion is not along the lines of "advice".

Yes, I'm sure there are many experienced and helpful folks here . . .and many OTHERS, all of whom you know NOTHING about (including me). You really think it's a good idea to solicit and take advise from people you know nothing about . . . nor have anyway of protecting yourself in the event the advise turn out to be bad or plain wrong? It sounds pretty foolish to me (no pun intended)

Sure, it'll cost you something (you can afford it now), but the benefit will very likely far outweigh that cost. It sounds like you're doing fine in a lot of way . . . . but may need to things more efficiently and effectively . . . ??? A good experience financial planner has the knowledge, training and experience to help you do that.

<< I understand that I can afford professional advice. Given my current income - by most people's standards - I can afford lots of stuff. I don't think its prudent to go out and spend simply because you can. >>

I'm certainly not suggesting to just go out and "simply spend because you can". That too would be foolish.

<< Most planners, etc... will see my income and begin drooling... a young guy with this - I can make lots of fees here - I'm quite afraid of being ripped off. >>

Oh, I'm sure there are "some" planners out there that would think and feel that way. . . . but NOT "most". I looks like the reason you say that have much more to do with your FEAR than the reality of it. You should let "fear" control your decisions in these matters.

I'd bet that "fear" doesn't always control you this way. If one has a "fear" of getting shots at the doctors . .. should one just not go and get the inoculations one needs? Some people do indeed do that . . . but is that the right thing to do?

<< I like coming here for free anonymous advice because people share with no incentive for personal gain. That makes any advice I get here even more valuable. >>

While it's GREAT to come to place like this for INFORMATION, it's a POOR place to go for "advise". It's NOT true that "advise" one receives here is void of incentive and how are you to know whether it is or it isn't??? Why do you thing the SEC actually monitors boards like this??? Why do you think professional don't give "advise" on boards like this? While you might find reliable "advise", there's no way of knowing if it is or not.

It's the information you can glean from these places that can be very beneficial. So, be careful about taking a any "advise" anywhere on the web. That would be my advise. <VBG>

<< If annuity means I have to pay for advice - forget it - I'd rather pay the taxes >>

Assuming you're serious, WHY? Does that sound way to make a financial decision?

BTW: HOW to you guys use Bold and Italics when posting here???? I like how you did that in your post.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement