Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I have read the basic FAQ on the subject of Family Loans and Gift tax issues. But I still need a bit of help.

1. The "unified" credit for taxable gifts: ($650K-1998)
I was under the understanding that this credit applies only to a spouse. As I read the Q&A, it lead me to understand that the credit is cumulative, and can be applied to many persons, not only my spouse. If I give my kid $100K as a outright tax free gift, it reduces my lifetime exemption to $550K for my wife. Is this the correct interpretation?

If I made this gift to my kid, do I have to file something with the IRS?

2. If instead of an outright gift of $100K to my kid (the second exception to gift tax), I instead loan him $100K interest free. Do I need to file something with the IRS? Is there a time limit imposed by the IRS on the loan? (I understand the $1000 investment income limit)

3. I'm sure there is another question I haven't been smart enough to ask. Any additional cautions or guidance are greately appreciated.

I believe that our children need all the help they can get to make their place in our great society a rewarding and prosperous one. To that end, we love them and nurture them as best we can.

Thanks for the help,

HappyAlf
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement