No. of Recommendations: 1
Her blog has really inspired me to think of new ways to reduce clothing expenses. I have shopped in thrift and consignment stores for years But I would pass on clothes that didn't fit me perfectly. And I have given away many pieces of clothes that I could have 'refashioned'.

I did a lot of shopping at a local thrift store when my children were small. I even bought a bedroom set that lasted me 30 years and still in such good shape that I gave it away when I moved last year.
Twenty five years ago I went back to work after my girls entered junior high. I went to Marshalls and bought a black skirt which became a staple in my closet. I wore the skirt with a jacket some days, with a blouse some days and with a sweater on other days. I wore that skirt until the lining shredded. It was the best investment I ever made.
I believe the fabric was gabardine. Not sure if people are wearing skirts these days but a good pair of slacks would do the trick.
Classic styles work best and so do classic colors. Being a former New Yorker who worked in the city itself I wore a lot of black, white, khaki and cream colors. Mix and match was the order of the day back then and I imagine it still is but depends on where you work. I worked in a bank so we had to dress conservatively.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement