No. of Recommendations: 1
Here are the questions: There is a $45 charge for the transfer. Do other cards, that you already have - not new ones, do this? Also, all of my payments will be applied to the 0% balance until it is paid off. I can pay nothing to the balance that already exists and it will still accrue interest until I start making payments on it again. This just doesn't sound right to me. Is this normal practice?

With MBNA you're lucky they didn't charge a higher BT fee. Mine is a max of $99 right now, up from $50. Of course, you probably didn't transfer enough to max the fee out.

It is normal for CC's to apply payments to the lowest interest rate first. But I believe most apply payments to all interest charged that month, then the lowest rate payment, then the next lowest rate payment, if the first rate was paid in full.

Example:
Your credit card statement closes for the month, and it shows the following:

$7000 at 12.9%
$1500 at 0%
$45 BT fee
$75.78 interest charged on $7000 balance

Let's say you are able to pay $200 to this card this month. I believe your payment would first go to the BT fee, then interest, then the 0% balance. Next month your statement would look like:

$7000 at 12.9%
$1420.78 at 0%
no BT fee (since nothing new was transferred)
$75.78 interest charged on $7000 balance

Each month you will accrue the same amount in interest on the $7000 balance at 12.9% until the 0% is paid in full and you begin paying on the $7000 balance. Each payment you make will first go towards the interest then the 0% balance. The good news is that the interest isn't added into the 12.9% balance while you pay on the 0% balance. If this was the case, the balance at 12.9% would grow while you pay off the 0%. At least your balance will stay the same, not grow.

Once you pay off the HD card, snowball this MBNA card as much as you can so you can pay as little as possible in interest. Since you have the 0% balance on top of a 12.9% balance it is not in your interest to stretch out payments on the 0%. You should pay it off as soon as you can so then you can pay on the $7000.

When I look around for a new card, I would like to transfer the MBNA balance to the new card. I do not think that I will get a card with that amount right away (about $7000). Would it be worth it to transfer whatever amount the new card will allow and just start taking chunks from the MBNA or should I wait until the card is paid off (probably in about 3 years) before getting a new one?

Oh, BTW, MBNA would not lower my interest from 12.99% despite the fact that every 6 months they raise my limit, tell me I don't have to make a payment and offer other stupid incentives and tell me that I have excellent credit.

Depending on your credit history you may not qualify for another low-intro rate card at this time. You may want to wait 6 months before applying for one to let this recent inquiry age out some and effect your credit history less.

Don't let MBNA keep you at 12.99% forever. Call them at least once every other month to ask about lowered rates. In this time, be sure to pay them on time, every time. If you are late once, they are much less likely to lower your rate, and may raise it. When they do finally lower your rate, wait 6 months then call again. (I was told by MBNA that you have to wait 6 months in between getting your rate lowered.)

Good luck! It sounds like this plan should save you money over letting the HD card start charging their 20+%.
DizChick
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement