UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (51) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: BruceCM Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75810  
Subject: Re: How much is enough? Date: 1/6/2011 7:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Here are the steps for quantifying (calculating) your savings requirement to support your retirement. Note, this is how an actuary would calculate your capital requirement (accumulated savings for retirement) as of the start of your first year of retirement in 10 years...but like all actuarial calculations, it is static...that is, its based on values and assumptions as of today. This WILL change over the year ahead, thus this calculation would need to be done prior to the beginning of each successive year so that adjustments can be made.

You've provided some required information. I will make other reasonable assumptions. If you'd like to change any of these, let me know and I'll redo the calculation.

Current ages of couple: 55
Anticipated retirement age: 65
Life expectancy for both: 90
Wish each years withdrawal to increase by inflation (CPI)?: Yes
Expected annual average inflation rate: 2.5%
Expected Social Security combined benefit at retirement: $36,000
First retirement years household income requirement: $100,000
Expected average annual investment return on a 30/70 portfolio in retirement: 6.25%
Expected average annual investment return on a 40/60 pre-retirement portfolio: 7%
Current retirement savings: $1,000,000
Legacy (remainder of savings at end of life): 0

The calculation for capital need requirement:
N = Number of withdrawal years = 90 - 65 = 25
I = expected average annual return adjusted for inflation = [(1.0625/1.025)-1] X 100 = 3.66%
Payment = first years withdrawal amount = 100,000 - 36,000 = 64,000
Future value at the end of life = 0

Present Value (capital requirement) at beginning of first retirement year) = $1,074,680

Present value of current savings: $1,000,000
Expected average annual preretirement investment return: 7%
Number of years to retirement: 10
With no added savings made, the future value of the present value will be about $1,145,000.

Thus, based on the above assumptions, you have an adequate savings to support your retirement.

Let me know if you have any adjustments you'd like to make to the above values and assumptions.

BruceM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (51) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement