Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Messier101 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1805  
Subject: Re: Telescope talk Date: 2/13/2002 5:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Here is a link to some very good tutorial info about the different type of scopes and their advanatages and disadvantages:

http://www.astronomics.com/main/howto.asp?n1=1&t1=4&cat%5Fid=4

Things to consider in buying a scope include (IMHO):

1. Aperature - the larger the size the more light collected, the brighter the image.
2. Portability - Do you live in the city or country? The most important factor in what you see when viewing deep sky objects is the amount of light pollution. A smaller scope is more portable and easier to set up at a dark site. This is obviously a trade off between 1 and 2, but can also depend upon the type - Catadioptric is an option where you get more aperature for the total size.
3. Quality - of optics and steadyness of the mount.
4. Computerized or manual - if you are new to astronomy you may want to consider a GOTO scope, especially in the city where it is harder to star hop and find fainter objects.
5. Once you get the scope you will want to start looking at quality eyepieces which can greatly improve your views.

Just a few random thoughts. Email me if you have more questions. I have a Celestron Nexstar 5 which I love - great trade off of size and portability and ease of use.

-KQ

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement