UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (57) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59776  
Subject: Re: As heard and seen in weather news Date: 5/5/2013 3:19 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Here is a link to world car production.

I'm not sure how to respond to this. You seem to be saying, "Here is something that is contributing to the global environmental problem, so that is rationalization for me to not even try to reduce my carbon footprint."

I just don't see it that way.

China is emerging as a political, social and economic force in the world. Many that were surviving in poverty there are now working their way to a more comfortable middle class existence. That transformation is being paid for with a significant amount of carbon pollution.

As much as I wish the above statement were not true, I wonder what option is preferable. Would you prefer to keep Chinese people in poverty? Would you prefer that the industrialized nations of the world pay China to become less carbon dependent while they grow and compete increasingly with us?

Real choices involve complex analysis. Any change to carbon footprint of a nation will involve social, political and economic considerations - both short-term and long-term. We really can't expect China, India and the underdeveloped countries of the world to suddenly adopt a total green approach to their development. We can't even do that yet in the US - the wealthiest nation on earth. But we can encourage and help them evolve as we do ourselves. Change is hard. It takes time.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (57) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Ubiquiti Analysis
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement