Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Here is my opinion,

For a girlfriend, i would ignore the payments, a gift between boyfriend and girlfriend is completly reasonable in my opinion. If it was just a friend some should be claimed as rent, the amount that is utilities does not need to by reported, its just a reimbursement of shared expenses, like spliting the cost of a pizza. You could report the income but you would have deductions that would offset it. You would also get depreciation for the rental portion of the house.

I have told clients that want to have their kids pay some rent, just to have the kids pay the housekeeper, the spin here is that the kids are just paying for the cost to clean up all the extra messes that they make.

This causes a record keeping nightmares if you do it correctly, depreciated the house, allocate expenses such as lawn care, housekeeping, insurance, that is why so few people report the income.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.