Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Here is my post on Amazon....

I have been reading IBD since 2000. I am still on my free trial. Just kidding, I get the used papers from my neighbor and do most of my reading on the weekend. This paper is the publication that goes with the CANSLIM method of investing. CANSLIM has a strict set of rules, starting with finding stocks with good fundamentals, then "buying right", then selling right. In the beginning, I found it VERY difficult to follow the rules. Human nature is emotional and I found myself holding a stock waiting for a comeback after it had passed the mandatory stop loss rules. I found myself cheating and buying a stock before the proper breakout. But the rules are good and the paper and online resources will help you find the stocks that meet them. You must learn to become a computer, not a human.

Before you get your free trial do this:
1) go to Investors.com every day and (free signup for public data) review the market commentary and stock selection of the day, etc. Do this for at least two weeks to get a feel.
2) run through ALL the free online educational data at the site.
3) read the O'Neil book "How to Make Money In Stocks".
4) From the book, learn to read the signs of the market to see if you are in an uptrend or downtrend. (If there is a place that sells the paper, take a free look at the "Big Picture" spot on the top left of front page and see if market is in uptrend, correction or under pressure.
5) if you don't have the discipline to do this, don't even bother with the paper!

Some of the fundamental CANSLIM rules you probably violate all the time...
1) NEVER buy a stock when the market is in a correction
2) NEVER average down on a losing stock (but do average up properly on a winning stock)
3) NEVER let your loss exceed 7-8%
4) Buy right (good fundamentals first, then proper chart pattern and breakout).
5) NEVER hold too many stocks, you can't keep up with them and there are only so many great stocks (if your stock is not proving to be at least good shortly after the proper buy point, then sell it and wait for another opportunity or invest proceeds in a better stock you own (at proper add on point)).
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement