UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Foolishoamy Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 74853  
Subject: Re: Great opportunity...need advice Date: 10/27/2000 5:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Here is what I am proposing to my wife for the short term investing "game" (She thinks I am a rookie and have no financial savy) that's making our financial discussions edgy.

Our Income 174,000
401K (maxed) + 2 Roths 14,000
Taxable Income 160,000
Taxes (State & Federal) 55,200
Other Expenses (rent/bills/debt 58,800
Net Investible Income 46,000

Hello Cdavies,
I have a couple of ques/comments. What is your adjusted gross income? If it exceeds 160,000 your ability to contribute to a Roth IRA is limited. I forget if contribution limits phase out between 150k- 160k or 160k-170k for couples, but I know its one of the two. I think its between 160-170.
Does your wife have the opportunity to contribute to a 401k?
It looks as though you are planning on deducting your Roth IRA contributions (10k 401k + 4k Roth IRA = 14k) reguardless of income this is not allowed. Roth IRA contributions are not deductable.
These are relatively minor points and therefore things you should already know, so you either forgot while posting your message or maybe just maybe your wife is right. 8^)
Otherwise your plan looks sound to me. A couple of suggestions. Look into 401k for your self/wife whichever is not contributing in the plan. Visit the fool school and read the 13 steps. Check out Intercst's Early Retirement Home Page board and web site because you and your wife are defintely on the right track to ER if thats what you want to do.
Hope this helps and good luck,
Brian

The ER home page site

http://boards.fool.com/messages.asp?mid=13574776&bid=112992

The Fool School

http://www.fool.com/school/13steps/13steps.htm?ref=STH13st
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Feste Award Winner Announced!
Congrats to the Winner of the 2013 Feste Award!
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Why Should Berkshire Hathaway Survive?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement