UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75383  
Subject: Re: Retirement savings options for high-income e Date: 1/4/2011 4:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Here is what I do, but things are a little different since I'm a self-employed high earner.

I max out my Roth 401k. I then max out my self contributing pension plan (this is my main difference from you probably). I then contribute to a traditional IRA (and no I have not and will probably not convert to a Roth IRA). After that, I put extra monies into a taxable brokerage account. (All of this is done assuming no debt and the establishment of a 6 month living expense emergency money market/CD account)

DW and I paid our house off about 5 years ago. My previous house I paid off the mortgage with the extra monies before doing taxable brokerage.

Where to put your monies? The obviously simplest thing to do would be put 60% in a stock index ETF and 40% in a bond index ETF and re-balance yearly. To me, target dated funds charge you too much for one simple act.

Or, you could pick some good dividend paying stocks (Google Dividend Champions and Dividend Achievers and well as utility companies) and DRIP (Dividend ReInvestment Plan) the dividends. You might think "crap, I'm only getting 2-3% yield", but 30 years from now, due to constantly increased dividend payout and DRIP, your yield your original investment could easily be in the 20% range. Food for thought. This is what I'm currently doing.

JLC
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

2.1: The Labor Pool Problem
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement