Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121585  
Subject: Re: Federal tax form for deceased & divorced par Date: 3/14/2001 8:58 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Here was her situation...she remarried, had two children, and they divorced. That was more than twelve years ago and they both had an agreement that each of them would claim one of the children as a dependent. On top of claiming the one child, my mother also got an earned income credit for this child. In late June of last year, she died, and both children are still minors. In early July, they both moved in with their father. How does the dependent thing work at this point? Since she had the children living in her house for more than half the year, I would assume the agreed upon dependents would still hold true...right? How about the EIC for the one child?

My condolences on the loss of your mother. Frankly, I don't know the answer to your questions. There's lots of information about the birth or death of a child during the year, but nothing about the death of the parent. I suggest you use the e-mail question feature on the IRS website, providing specific dates for her death and the move to the father's house, plus information about what was going on with the children between those dates.

I make the following assumption based on your verbiage: both children lived with your mother, but by agreement the dependency exemptions were split between her and the father. (If only one child lived with your mother, ignore the rest of this.)

You said that she qualified for the EIC for "this child." If she was claiming the EIC based on only one qualifying child, she was cheating herself. A qualifying child need not be a dependent; the child merely must live with you. If my assumption is correct, she should have been claiming the EIC based on two or more qualifying children.

If she underclaimed her EIC in prior years, her personal representative can amend the 1997-1999 returns to claim the increased credit and refund. The deadline for amending a timely 1997 return is 4/15/2001.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement