Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: cookc2 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121189  
Subject: Re: inheritance tax w/wife not on title Date: 10/12/2001 1:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Here's a block quote from the Houston Chronicle that might help explain Texas law a little better. It comes from Columnist Ronald Lipman, an attorney. This portion was run on October 1 of this year.

Q. It looks like my husband and I will be getting divorced after eight years of marriage.

My question involves the house my husband purchased before we got married.

Much of the money we earned while married went into paying the mortgage and fixing up the house. Now my husband is claiming the house is all his, and he also thinks he doesn't owe me anything for the money we spent paying for it.

Is he right?

A. Yes and no. It is true that your husband owns the house as his separate property, given that he owned it before your marriage.

However, because you and your husband used money earned during your marriage to pay the mortgage and make improvements, you have what is now called a claim for economic contribution.

This law became effective on Sept. 1, 2001. Essentially, the amount you spent reducing the debt and paying for improvements on the property, as well as a portion of the increase in value, is treated like it is community property of the marriage.

When you get divorced, a judge can award you all or a portion of this community property claim. Unfortunately for you, your claim for economic contribution does not include expenses for ordinary maintenance and repair, taxes, casualty insurance or interest on the loan.

Calculating the exact amount of the claim is complicated and depends on the particular facts of your situation.

You should be sure to hire a lawyer to represent your best interests in the divorce and be sure he or she is familiar with the new law.

If you also spent a considerable amount of time and effort maintaining, improving or managing the home, you may also have a separate claim for reimbursement for those efforts -- although it would not enter into the calculation of your claim for economic contribution.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ronald Lipman is an attorney with the Houston law firm of Lipman & Associates. He is board certified in estate planning and probate law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Back to the Future Buffalo Wild Wings
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement