Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Interesting.

But I do wonder about their statistics. Only 3% of people over 65 can write a check for $600? That sounds way wrong to me...unless it's some odd statistic like only measuring non-brokerage, non-business checking account balances.
Yes, very interesting. Especially #5, oh how true.
Yes, very interesting. Especially #5, oh how true.

I guess we really should list them:

9 ways to ruin your retirement

1. Buy more home than you can afford
2. Base your projections on today's costs
3. Raid your 401(k) or cash it out
4. Count on Social Security
5. Believe your benefits will never change
6. Allow your kids' needs to trump yours
7. Count on your partner's income
8. Plan to work forever
9. Don't worry about health issues

AM
9 ways to ruin your retirement

1. Buy more home than you can afford
2. Base your projections on today's costs
3. Raid your 401(k) or cash it out
4. Count on Social Security
5. Believe your benefits will never change
6. Allow your kids' needs to trump yours
7. Count on your partner's income
8. Plan to work forever
9. Don't worry about health issues

groan.

they all sounded silly to me ..so i had to read the article .. which turned out to be on a site that my browser *hates*

... good advice for those who aren't yet retired.

not all that helpful to me.

-
..... bad enough you all almost convinced me my daddy was wrong (in another thread)
groan.

they all sounded silly to me ..so i had to read the article .. which turned out to be on a site that my browser *hates*

-----------------------

Why not all that helpful to you?

..... bad enough you all almost convinced me my daddy was wrong (in another thread)

Huh? When? Where? What?

AM
No. of Recommendations: 1

-----------------------

Why not all that helpful to you?

being retired, i've already made the mistakes and can't undo them
( unless i go back to **** <shudder> )

Huh? When? Where? What?

i dropped into the middle of the thread on "What's a millionaire?" ... and started thinking, "Daddy used to say, 'there are no stupid questions' ..apparently he was wrong"

then went back to the start of the thread and decided --not a stupid question. Just a question that necessarily raises a nother one, "who wants to know? why?"
( think all the hostility in that thread came from cross-talk because of different 'answers' )

[ days that i want to feel like a millionaire, i count the equity in my house /days i'm concerned whether i have the assets to survive ..i don't count the house / days i feel the urge to post at "Millionaire Fools" .. i don't count the house.
........ i like Cliff's idea of counting 'value' of SS stream .. think i'll use that instead of house next time i want to feel like a millionaire ]

=-=
[ days that i want to feel like a millionaire, i count the equity in my house /days i'm concerned whether i have the assets to survive ..i don't count the house / days i feel the urge to post at "Millionaire Fools" .. i don't count the house.
........ i like Cliff's idea of counting 'value' of SS stream .. think i'll use that instead of house next time i want to feel like a millionaire ]

--------------------

Good ideas, all. ;o)

AM
The whole exercise in valuing worth, e.g., who is a millionaire, seems just like a playful exercise. However there are occasions when defining how the valuation occurs becomes important. If SS becomes indexed it will be important. It is important in determining who gets help paying for nursing home care. Housing can often be figured in the equation. Politicians are very bad in throwing around figures with defining terms. I recall one who was complaining about the number of welfare recipients in a community where the average income was over a million dollars. It turned out the median income was much less.
Advertisement