No. of Recommendations: 0
Here's another angle (forgive me if it's been covered, I only read the thread once): Maybe he has some fear because he's aware of how it could go wrong?

My wife and I both grew up with landlord parents (my dad/stepmom were also property managers), so it was nothing new. We became landlords by keeping a couple of houses we moved out of, and we were on the same page and the division of labor was clear and agreed--I do everything. However, a story or experience of things going very wrong, such as a tenant slipping through the screening process and wrecking the place while not paying rent, does strain things in the expectations department, and could sour one's opinion on the whole landlording endeavor. Even the best of preparation won't reduce your odds of financial calamity to zero.

This is what I want, what I have wanted for years. It's my turn. Maybe that's b*tchy, but it's the truth.

This is important to remind him about, in my opinion. I think it's easy for a man to forget stuff like this (or not recognize it at all). However, it needs to be done in the right context. Don't hit him over the head with it. Just say it when it's your turn to talk in the 'honest discussion' described upthread.

-n8
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement