UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (48) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 465051  
Subject: Here's the answer Date: 7/30/2011 10:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 38
I'm surprised no one has mentioned it before. It's obvious once you think about it, because it's already been going on for some years now. The idea is just to take it to a different dimension, a larger scale. A vastly larger scale.

There's no reason the Grand Canyon is called "The Grand Canyon" except that once upon a time somebody decided that was a decent name, and maybe it was. Well, somebody thought "The Chicago Stadium" was a good name too, until United Airlines offered to pay $10 million a year to call it "The United Center." I mean seriously, this is not heavy lifting. Change a few signs around, tell the media they have to call it "The United Center" from now on, and United Airlines takes some of its vast profits and spends it keeping its name in the public eye and maybe even getting a few perks like free tickets to a Bulls or Blackhawks game, or a backstage pass when Lady Gaga plays there or something. (OK, I understand that saying "profits" and "United Airlines" in the same sentence is sort of a bad example, but you see where I'm going here.)

I mean cripes, if one crummy stadium is worth that, what's the Grand Canyon worth? "Hey kids, want to take a trip to see the Exxon Exploratory Ditch today?" "Yayyy, Dad, let's go!"

Heck, the government owns a gazillion of these things. Naming rights for prisons could be sold to Schlage or Master Lock. Every overpass in America could be painted with McDonald's arches. And why call it I-5, anyway? Isn't "The Microsoft Highway" a better moniker? I'll bet Penthouse would jump at the chance to take naming rights on the Washington Monument.

The best thing about this is that it's not really a big deal. Everybody knows that America is in the pocket of the corporations already, this would just admit what's already true, and bring in a ton of cash to help with our current, uh, problem. Apple, alone, is sitting on $75 billion. They'd have to be nuts not to want to slap their cute little logo on every courthouse in America, don't you think? Steve Jobs is a control freak? Well, baby, this is serious control!

Post Office buildings are an obvious one, but it's even better. Why not have the USPS cancel envelopes with a canceller that says "Call Comcast for faster delivery." The Lincoln monument? With all those columns? Looks like a perfect set up for Bank of America, it even looks like a bank already! Smaller corporation and local companies could bid on other things, like street names, or maybe local parks or whatever. Who doesn't want to get their tap water from Johnny's Pizza House Reservoir?

It's been done before, so I won't belabor the point, but if NASA wants to increase its budget, I'd suggest they take a serious look at the moon. If they can't get a few cans of spray paint and a robot up there, why did we spend all that money in the first place?

OK, that's all I have time for, you can take it from here. I gotta go. I've got a meeting with a guy about turning that CD slot in your computer into a reverse ATM machine. You stuff bills in, and, well, I don't want to give too much away, but I'm sure it will work better than my last idea, kitty litter by 3-dimensional printer. That one should have taken off, but the "As Seen on TV" people are stupid and wouldn't pitch in. Dumb. They fund an aluminum wallet and the ah-bra, but not something that half-the-population could use! Idiots.

OK, save the country. Your turn.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: xLife Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367525 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 7/30/2011 11:20 PM
Recommendations: 0
I can top that. Don't stop at naming rights. Sell the national parks to the highest bidders. Debt crisis over.

Author: qazulight Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367529 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 7/31/2011 12:34 AM
Recommendations: 1
I'll bet Penthouse would jump at the chance to take naming rights on the Washington Monument.

Worth a rec all by itself!

Cheers
Qazulight

Author: gibbersome Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367534 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 7/31/2011 2:57 AM

I'll bet Penthouse would jump at the chance to take naming rights on the Washington Monument.

Worth a rec all by itself!

Cheers
Qazulight

Ha! I would like to see our president wearing a Nike cap to the next state of the union.

Author: JohnEBgood Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367535 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 7/31/2011 3:03 AM
I mean cripes, if one crummy stadium is worth that, what's the Grand Canyon worth? "Hey kids, want to take a trip to see the Exxon Exploratory Ditch today?"

The possibilities are endless!

Mississippi River --> BP Water Slide

Smoky Mountains National Park --> Altria Heights

Everglades --> Dewey, Cheatem & Howe Swamp Preserve

Yup....you are definitely on to something.

Jack

Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367540 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 7/31/2011 8:22 AM
Recommendations: 6
How about having to listen to a 30 second ad when you call 911?

A passport takes weeks, but if they had a "Passport on the Way" service with a fleet of fully equipped trucks to create the passport on the way to your residence for an additional fee of course.

You want a bridge to move traffic across the border, oh and with access to the freeway on the other side.....

http://www.trucknews.com/news/ota-rejects-tv-ads-labelling-p...

The Government of Canada has offered to pay Michigan's share of the construction costs and recoup the money through tolls.

I really believe y'all are missing a great opportunity with all those military units sitting around eating up food and burning energy. There are needy rich dictators having to slaughter unarmed civilians using drafted soldiers that really don't have their heart in the job?

You could sell the services of your politicians ... unless it has already been done?

Oh I know the courts and police are expensive, perhaps for a reasonable fee....?

Teachers expensive, cut their pay but allow them to charge parents a fee for better grades for there precocious kids?

Companies make a lot of money doing tax returns, perhaps the IRS could get in on that.... just imagine the feeling of comfort having your taxes done by the IRS?

A little imagination here guys?

**** not signed ****

cause I'm just having fun here.

Author: qazulight Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367548 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 7/31/2011 10:25 AM
You could sell the services of your politicians ... unless it has already been done?

We could have them wear the logos of the people who bought them, and then that could go back into the treasury. We could have a congressional draft where the big players would bid at auction for the choice committee seats.

Cheers
Qazulight

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367549 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 7/31/2011 10:49 AM
Thank you for recommending this post to our Best of feature.

OK, Tim, you get a rec for that one.

Author: voiceinthedin Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367558 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 7/31/2011 11:56 AM
Goofy,

just one flaw....our system.....if you offered rights to govt properties.....the back door approach of payola would possibly enter in.....we would look more like Russia.......

now think of this capitalistic pigs.......if you can sell it personally as putin did......and then try and take it all back from a few of those you sold to.....like putin did.......

....well....russia here we come......

nyet

Dave

Author: xLife Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367571 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 7/31/2011 1:50 PM

Teachers expensive, cut their pay but allow them to charge parents a fee for better grades for there precocious kids?

That's actually how it works in Russia, especially at universities.

Author: exeter17 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367572 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 7/31/2011 1:58 PM

we both know the answer to that my dear friend from the North :)

Author: alchook Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367573 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 7/31/2011 2:19 PM
Recommendations: 2
I've got a meeting with a guy about turning that CD slot in your computer into a reverse ATM machine.

Sounds redundant.

Author: KBGlenn Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367574 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 7/31/2011 2:41 PM
We could have them wear the logos of the people who bought them, and then that could go back into the treasury. We could have a congressional draft where the big players would bid at auction for the choice committee seats.

That would be cool! And we could have them race in the GOVCAR series where only GM, Chrysler and Fiat cars are allowed. The winner at the end of the racing season would receive the Fannie Cup or would it be the Freddie Cup?

I like this new world...so familiar to the old one we are leaving.

Author: 00jane Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367576 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 7/31/2011 2:54 PM
//

That would be cool! And we could have them race in the GOVCAR series where only GM, Chrysler and Fiat cars are allowed. The winner at the end of the racing season would receive the Fannie Cup or would it be the Freddie Cup?
//

Or bumper cars! CSPAN would become more interesting--and I think it would improve the quality of debates.

Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367578 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 7/31/2011 3:16 PM
Or bumper cars! CSPAN would become more interesting--and I think it would improve the quality of debates.

Listening to all the comments about the politicians brings up a bunch of questions. My expererience in the military was always that when a few people screwed up it was them, when everyone screws up there is something wrong with the system. I repeat something I sort of suggested in this post, is it possible that these are really smart people in a dysfunctional system that makes them look bad?

http://boards.fool.com/but-what-seems-clear-to-me-is-that-th...

Clearly if that is so the question becomes is it possible to change the system? If it is not possible, how do we invest to make the most of the dysfunctional system?

**** not signed ****

Because it is a beautiful day in Halifax and we are celebrating Natal Day.

http://www.natalday.org/

http://www.novascotiawebcams.com/halifax/ferry-terminal.html...

Author: wburble Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367579 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 7/31/2011 3:26 PM
Great idea.

How much money do you think KFC would pay to tattoo its logo on Obama's forehead?

Author: Hohum777 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367587 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 7/31/2011 5:52 PM
How about "Best Buy" for the Congressional building?

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367591 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 7/31/2011 6:44 PM
Recommendations: 4

I've been thinking about that one. It might go something like this:

Thank you for calling 911!

We realize you don't have a choice when calling so please stand by for this important announcement.

buzzzzzt click

Have you tried Fred's?

Yes, Fred's the fast and friendly local fire department with emphasis on friendly! So the next time you smell smoke tell the 911 operator you want friendly Fred's fire department!

buzzzzzt click

We here at 911 realize your call is important to you so please stand by for the next operator.

Remember emergency calls are answered in the order they are received so don't hang up and call back as that will only increase your waiting time.

Please recognize that due to a recent court ruling you are NOT on hold but rather just waiting for the next emergency operator to become available.

buzzzzzt click

Soothing music while you wait is available for a small additional charge. Just push the "F" and "U" buttons on your touch tone phone to listen now.

buzzzzzt click

Your municipal not for profit emergency network is processing your call now. Please stand by.

buzzzzzt click

Igor's Insurance can help you recover from fire, flood and earthquake. Press the "X" button on your dial now to get insurance before your emergency becomes "official" if you know what I mean.

buzzzzzt click

The estimated waiting time for your emergency call is ... fourteen ... minutes ... and ... fifty seven seconds. To reduce waiting time dial "B" "R" "I" "B" "E" now.

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367594 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 7/31/2011 7:53 PM
Clearly if that is so the question becomes is it possible to change the system? If it is not possible, how do we invest to make the most of the dysfunctional system?

You are correct, it is the system that has become corrupted over the years.

Politicians are beholdin' to the big money backers that paid for their election/reelection campaigns.
AND
Politicians are beholdin' to the voters who expect them to actually keep those promises they made during their election/reelection campaigns.

Both big bucks boys and voters want stuff that costs money, but nobody wants to pay more taxes to get it.

So we raise the debt limit again and again pretending that it really is a limit.

Every increase in the debt limit is the last one honest.

Sure, we'll be glad to consider a balanced budget amendment right after we increase the debt limit this last time, we promise.

When you take your kids to the doctor for an inoculation they don't want to do it because getting a shot hurts.

But, as an adult, you know a little pain now prevents a lot of suffering later.

Where are the adults on this issue?

Desert (expects to see both sides with their fingers wrapped around each other's throats as their struggles overturn the rowboat.) Dave

Author: YewGuise Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367596 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 7/31/2011 8:27 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned it before.

Sorry, Goofy, Taco Bell beat you to it with their 1996 April Fools' joke.

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367603 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 7/31/2011 9:20 PM
Sorry, Goofy, Taco Bell beat you to it with their 1996 April Fools' joke.

For those of you who weren't at Taco Bell that day:

http://www.fixr.com/blog/2011/04/01/the-greatest-april-fools...

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367611 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 7/31/2011 10:29 PM
Recommendations: 73
How much money do you think KFC would pay to tattoo its logo on Obama's forehead?

Leave it to a Tea Bagger to turn a thread of gentle humor into a racist insult.

Author: loveoldcars Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367618 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 7/31/2011 11:52 PM

Why is it racist?

rk

Author: whafa Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367619 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 8/1/2011 12:01 AM

---

Why is it racist?

---

Because where Goofy lives, only black people eat fried chicken.

Author: voiceinthedin Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367620 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 8/1/2011 12:04 AM
Recommendations: 8

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I dont want to offend anyone....but the tea party is for angry losers.....sorry if anyone is offended....

Dave

Author: xLife Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367622 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 8/1/2011 12:04 AM
Recommendations: 51

---

Why is it racist?

---

No. it's because where Goofy lives, people who make jokes about blacks and fried chicken are racist. Jokes about blacks liking watermelons too.

A joke had been about Obama getting an Apple logo tatooed on his forehad wouldn't be racist. One about a KFC logo is. KFC wasn't chosen by accident.

Author: voiceinthedin Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367624 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 8/1/2011 12:11 AM
whafa,

it was based on something racist.....plain and simple......the OP would probably concur......you and rk can cloud the matter all you wish, but the OP would probably think you are soft peddaling his 'reality'.....

read some of Wburble's prior posts....get the idea of how he thinks first.....he is an ultra angry tea partier......

it is what it is.....

I like criticizing the tea party for sport......after all if anyone that righteous and full of themselves cant take some critical analysis and thoughts......well....perhaps they need to stop following their crazy leaders who they dont know to begin with......

can I talk here??? or are the nazis tea people saying no we wont allow for freedom of expressions other than our own....????

Dave

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367625 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 8/1/2011 12:13 AM
Recommendations: 5

Why is it racist?

Not to mention, why was it necessary to use a gross sexual slur as a means of introducing partisanship into a forum where, by popular agreement, it is not allowed?

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367626 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 8/1/2011 12:15 AM

Speaking of fried chicken...

http://www.ozfoxes.net/cgi/pl-fp1.cgi?1331

Author: voiceinthedin Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367627 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 8/1/2011 12:16 AM
Not to mention, why was it necessary to use a gross sexual slur as a means of introducing partisanship into a forum where, by popular agreement, it is not allowed?

that took a while to understand.......call me slow....but dont call me late to dinner......

sheesh Warrl....in fact I am still not sure I understand your post.....

Dave

Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367642 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 8/1/2011 7:17 AM
Recommendations: 5
read some of Wburble's prior posts

Dave,

Why?

I put him on ignore the first time I saw him blatantly breaking METaR rules and defying anyone to do anything about it. Sadly when people repeat his garbage constantly I am subjected to it anyway.

Tim <thinks there is a flaw in the ignore button> 443

Author: wburble Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367643 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 8/1/2011 7:21 AM

You believe that KFC is a racist restaurant chain?

Explain please.

Author: wburble Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367644 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 8/1/2011 7:23 AM
No. it's because where Goofy lives, people who make jokes about blacks and fried chicken are racist. Jokes about blacks liking watermelons too.

A joke had been about Obama getting an Apple logo tatooed on his forehad wouldn't be racist. One about a KFC logo is. KFC wasn't chosen by accident.

Oh, OK, if you say so, I wasn't aware of that.

How about this then:

How much do you think Dove soap would pay to tattoo their logo on Michelle Obama's forehead?

Author: lobodoug Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367651 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 8/1/2011 8:14 AM
You've all got it wrong. Here's the answer:

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Debt...

Cheers,

Doug

Author: brucedoe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367663 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 8/1/2011 11:08 AM
Goofy

Actually the government is selling assets all the time, but maybe they should just change the name to advertisers?

brucedoe

Author: CairnDad Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367675 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 8/1/2011 12:13 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned it before. It's obvious once you think about it, because it's already been going on for some years now. The idea is just to take it to a different dimension, a larger scale. A vastly larger scale.

There's no reason the Grand Canyon is called "The Grand Canyon" except that once upon a time somebody decided that was a decent name, and maybe it was. Well, somebody thought "The Chicago Stadium" was a good name too, until United Airlines offered to pay $10 million a year to call it "The United Center." I mean seriously, this is not heavy lifting. Change a few signs around, tell the media they have to call it "The United Center" from now on, and United Airlines takes some of its vast profits and spends it keeping its name in the public eye and maybe even getting a few perks like free tickets to a Bulls or Blackhawks game, or a backstage pass when Lady Gaga plays there or something. (OK, I understand that saying "profits" and "United Airlines" in the same sentence is sort of a bad example, but you see where I'm going here.)

I mean cripes, if one crummy stadium is worth that, what's the Grand Canyon worth? "Hey kids, want to take a trip to see the Exxon Exploratory Ditch today?" "Yayyy, Dad, let's go!"

Heck, the government owns a gazillion of these things. Naming rights for prisons could be sold to Schlage or Master Lock. Every overpass in America could be painted with McDonald's arches. And why call it I-5, anyway? Isn't "The Microsoft Highway" a better moniker? I'll bet Penthouse would jump at the chance to take naming rights on the Washington Monument.

The best thing about this is that it's not really a big deal. Everybody knows that America is in the pocket of the corporations already, this would just admit what's already true, and bring in a ton of cash to help with our current, uh, problem. Apple, alone, is sitting on $75 billion. They'd have to be nuts not to want to slap their cute little logo on every courthouse in America, don't you think? Steve Jobs is a control freak? Well, baby, this is serious control!

Post Office buildings are an obvious one, but it's even better. Why not have the USPS cancel envelopes with a canceller that says "Call Comcast for faster delivery." The Lincoln monument? With all those columns? Looks like a perfect set up for Bank of America, it even looks like a bank already! Smaller corporation and local companies could bid on other things, like street names, or maybe local parks or whatever. Who doesn't want to get their tap water from Johnny's Pizza House Reservoir?

It's been done before, so I won't belabor the point, but if NASA wants to increase its budget, I'd suggest they take a serious look at the moon. If they can't get a few cans of spray paint and a robot up there, why did we spend all that money in the first place?

Even though I know this is a joke, part of my likes the idea and part of me is horrified by it.

Author: CairnDad Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367676 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 8/1/2011 12:15 PM
A passport takes weeks, but if they had a "Passport on the Way" service with a fleet of fully equipped trucks to create the passport on the way to your residence for an additional fee of course.

You can pay private companies for extremely fast passports at very large fees.

Maybe the government should get in on some of that action.

Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367680 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 8/1/2011 12:32 PM
I hate to become serious here but with all the various groups advertising their point of view that appears to be directed at congress (but we know is really a threat about voters), the advertising agencies must be making a killing.

So who are the publicly traded advertising agencies that are going to report tremendous profits for this quarter?

Tim <thinks what y'all call "compromise" we would call "extortion"> 443

Author: Dwdonhoff Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367686 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 8/1/2011 1:30 PM
Goofy;
Leave it to a T*gger to turn a thread of gentle humor into a racist insult.
(*Shielded for vulger sexism.)

Warrl;

The vulger sexists will defend their bigotry by saying "but, but, but... those people have referrred to THEMSELVES that way.. I've seen it on Youtube... therefore, its all fair game!" Their obsession with phallic reference (ironically, putting themselves in the submissive) overcomes them.

Yet, they'll scream bloody racist bigotry of a non-black person uses the term "n*gger* with the same justification.

The funniest thing is... you can show them their hypocrisy to their faces, and they still can't comprehend the irony. Its simply beyond their mental capacity.

At least Dave (voiceinthedin) gets it... if you're going to decry bigotry, be classy enough not to actually do it by example.

Author: Dwdonhoff Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367688 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 8/1/2011 1:39 PM
Recommendations: 3
Hi xLife,

Curious, & very seriously....

Are jokes linking Irish with whisky or potatoes racist?
How about Italians & pasta? Wine?
French linked to pastries?
Russians with vodka?
Hawaiians with SPAM®?
Asians (or British) with tea?
Heck... British with bad teeth?

Why, or why not?

Or... is this a subjective bully stick that morphs to the accusers preferences (and their exploitation of their target's willingness to feel guilty?)

Author: tedhimself Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367691 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 8/1/2011 2:09 PM

No difference between that and say, Queen Elizabeth with bad teeth? Does personalizing it to a specific person make no difference at all?

Author: Dwdonhoff Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367692 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 8/1/2011 2:11 PM
Hi Ted,

No difference between that and say, Queen Elizabeth with bad teeth? Does personalizing it to a specific person make no difference at all?

So, you're saying that if the joke were Queen Elizabeth getting sponsored by Pepsodent... that would make it racist. Is this what you are saying?

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367694 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 8/1/2011 2:13 PM
So who are the publicly traded advertising agencies that are going to report tremendous profits for this quarter?

Take your pick.
http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&a...

Rush Limbaugh is reading reports from the New York Times and others that intimate that neither is satisfied with the deal.

Normally the rule of thumb is that if both sides are complaining it's a fair deal.

It's not. We're going to continue to spend money we don't have to buy reelection for politicians who've put their reelection ahead of our country.

You're right, Tim, faced with taking our medicine we were extorted into continuing to borrow.

Desert (it'll go on till nobody will loan us anymore money) Dave

Author: xLife Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367702 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 8/1/2011 4:41 PM
Are jokes linking Irish with whisky or potatoes racist?
How about Italians & pasta? Wine?
French linked to pastries?
Russians with vodka?
Hawaiians with SPAM®?
Asians (or British) with tea?

Why, or why not?

Do you really want to belabor this discussion on this board?

To answer you question succinctly, no. I'll gladly try to explain my reasoning elsewhere, if you'd like.

Author: Dwdonhoff Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367708 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 8/1/2011 5:48 PM
Hi xLife,

Do you really want to belabor this discussion on this board?

Not particularly... but couldn't think of anywhere else it would actually be on topic.

To answer you question succinctly, no. I'll gladly try to explain my reasoning elsewhere, if you'd like.

I believe I'll enjoy that. Lead on McDuff... where to?

Author: xLife Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367719 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 8/1/2011 8:12 PM

I believe I'll enjoy that. Lead on McDuff... where to?

It's times like this that I really miss the Land of Off-Topic Posts, a.k.a. NADA. Meet you there?

Perhaps we can spark a revival.

Cheers,

Felix

Author: tipiper Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367735 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 8/2/2011 12:02 AM
ChasSheen added to your Ignored Fools list.
This message was written by ChasSheen, an author you chose to ignore.

Post Metar stuff here, not drivel. A Metar post has a take, an opinion, a snip or a nip, a link or two, and sometimes an opposing view, plus a position, either actual or possible, and an optional personal note, with everything relating to METAR.

But many use this as a chatweet space, like CairnDad and UKgold. Please go somewhere else for one line tweets. If you think we need to know your one line opinion, you are wrong. Join the good gals, the good guys, put some depth into your posts. These poster and many more have great inputs we need to see right here. Please post with fulfillment.

Ti - still short the dang SandP, long the VXX and goldsilver and the UST long bond, plus a strong REE play that does not include MolyTheCorp, and a very managed pair of bondie funds plus a chunk of MMF. Can you believe the UST-10yr is level at 2.75?

http://www.bloomberg.com/markets/rates-bonds/government-bond...

I understand the reasonable debate that says the yields on the 10yrUST must go up - but so far, the bondies are saying... OK.

Author: Dwdonhoff Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367743 of 465051
Subject: Re: Here's the answer Date: 8/2/2011 1:20 AM
Felix,
Couldn't find your post at the search result of either named board.
Link?
Dave

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (48) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement