Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (35) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: aj485 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25316  
Subject: Re: Roth 401K-brokers that allow individual stoc Date: 8/21/2013 2:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Here's the MF article I mentioned previously:

http://g.foolcdn.co.uk/art/download/tmf/1211_TMFUK-10StepsTo......

That's a sales pitch for TMF's Share Advisor Service that they are selling, not 'an article'.

And, as I suggested before, TMF seems to be talking out of both sides of their mouth, as here's a sales pitch for TMF mutual funds http://www.foolfunds.com/philosophy/index.aspx The theory (if you believe the sales pitch) is that TMF mutual funds 'solve' all of the issues that they see with mutual funds, so these mutual funds are not really 'bad' mutual funds like other mutual funds. But they are still mutual funds,

As with all sales pitches, you need to take everything with a signficant grain of salt. You seem to have embraced the part of the Share Advisor sales pitch of "Forget funds and buy individual shares" without any salt.

I read an article about investing vs. gambling on Investopedia a while back so I could provide a reasonable answer to those, like my mom, who might say putting money into the stock market is the same as gambling. The short version is that when you invest you are providing companies with more working capital to increase production, expand, hire more people, etc... Something is actually produced with your money.

I would say that there is an element of gambling in all stock market investments. But the more diversified you are, the more you can mitigate the risk, which decreases the gambling element. With a total portfolio of $5,000 invested in 2 high-flier stocks, you have not only not mitigated your risk, you have increased it.

With gambling, a ton of people give money to a "pot" and a lot more lose than win. The losers end up with nothing.

Enron, WorldCom, Chrysler, MF Global, Pacific Gas & Electric, Conseco, CIT, General Motors, Washington Mutual, Lehman Brothers, American Airlines - to name a few losers that ended up with little or nothing.

AJ
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (35) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement