Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: jtmitch Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 8174  
Subject: Here's What I Did Date: 9/15/2003 4:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 12
I'm normally a poster on the Retire Early Home Page but have been lurking here for a while. We have an 8 month old granddaughter and have wanted to do something to get her college fund started. I researched the various options and decided to put a couple of grand into a 529 plan for starters. My plan is to add to it at birthdays, etc. but I figure if I later decide that another vehicle is better I'm not absoultely locked into the 529 for future contributions.

I'm a resident of MD; my granddaughter is a resident of VT. I could have gotten the tax deduction if I had used the MD plan (T. Rowe Price) but they have an up-fron $90 registration fee, $30 per year maintenance fee and annual fund fees very close to 1% (depending, of course, on the mix of funds.) VT uses TIAA-CREF which charges .80% per year. But I decided to go with Iowa which uses Vanguard for .65% per year.

Why?
- MD: Although T. Rowe Price is a good outfit, I didn't think the state tax deduction was that big a deal and the fees kind of annoyed me. (I can see why MD picked T. Rowe because they are a Baltimore firm.)
- VT: I have high regard for TIAA-CREF and have a lot of retirement and mutual fund money invested with them. But I thought they made the mix of investments a little more complex than they needed to. Also, if you pick the time-phased approach, they use 2 year bands and are a little more conservative in their approach than I thought was necessary.
- IA: Vanguard is my favorite financial firm and the bulk of my retirement money is with them. They had the lowest fees, used exclusively indexes for the investment mix and had 5 year bands. They also have 4 "tracks" within their time-phased approach that give you options from pretty aggressive to very conservative. (I picked the 2nd most aggressive track.) I also thought the IA plan was the most straightforward (maybe embodying mid-western values?)

Anyway, I'm not saying there are no other approaches, but thought I'd share what I did.

jtmitch
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement