Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: leaderoftheback Three stars, 500 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 17076  
Subject: Re: Tivo Swings to 3rd-Quarter Profit Date: 11/28/2012 5:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Here's what I don't like-
Management gave guidance of a net loss of $15mm to $17mm. Net profit was $59mm due to Verizon kicking in $78mm of their hard un-earned money. Doing some quick arithmetic; if you subtract the $78mm windfall, the loss would have been $19mm...much worse than guidance. Frankly, I don't know what that means, but based on after-market action, I'm guessing a few others have done that math, too.

I am losing faith (in my old-fashioned way) in management here. If the news is all positive- more subscribers, less churn, firmer hold on patents, etc...why can't this company turn anywhere near a real profit on the basic business? Tom Rogers- you are not worth the money we are paying you!

I think this is a really good reason to sell my shares...but I'm not going to. If next quarter, the results are similar, I'm going to seriously consider it (shares are not likely to fall out of the current trading range or break out to the up-side). I think the bears on Tivo might have it right but maybe, just maybe, all of this incremental business around the world will move core earnings up. There has been no real progress, though...ever.

-Randy
still long TIVO, and still loving owning the actual (ancient Series II) set-top box, but losing patience with Mr. Rogers.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement