Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (89) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: juliewinter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7630  
Subject: Re: POVs Date: 5/29/2002 4:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 30
Here's what I've observed in 1,017 years of working in various places: some small businesses, a college, a rapidly growing company, etc.

It can be a drag when you have to shoulder the burden of your co-workers' work while they attend to family matters. It also sucks when they have to take long leaves of absence because they get cancer or have to have surgery. Working with grief-stricken people who have lost parents, children, spouses or friends is also tough.

It's also the way it is. Things happen in this world. Our lives, for all our careful planning, go awry. People die. Husbands leave. Kids get sick, some very seriously. Some kids get in trouble and their parents have to go to court or treatment centers. And yet we all work and are expected to perform no matter what.

When I got dumped, I wasn't quite functional and up to par for awhile. Thank God for the help I got from my friends and co-workers, some who actually had to work harder to help cover me. Thank God I was able to leave work for a few days when my mother nearly died two years ago so I could be there to help take care of her. I'm happy my friend had a job to return to when she came back from a long leave when her daughter got leukemia for the third time.

When my co-workers take time off to see their kids in the school Christmas pageant, I'm happy to cover for them. When they want to stay home a bit longer to see the tots off on the first day of school, I'm all for it. If they need to stay home with a sick child, so be it.

Kids are the future, remember. And families help raise them.

Those people who have had kindness and generosity shown to them return it to you when your time comes.

And no matter what you think, your time will come. Because life is life.

JW
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (89) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement