Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 6776  
Subject: He's way ahead of me Date: 12/4/2004 6:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 14
My youngest seems to have picked up everything ever said about money. He got his checking account so he can see everything online and the bank itself is across the street so he's been doing his own banking for a few years. His savings is at ING.

Today he was trying to figure out what money was where. He wrote a check to get a Roth IRA started and that didn't seem to be showing up yet. I explained that it probably wouldn't clear until this week. I had to go in this week and sign as custodian since they noticed he was only 17.

So we started talking about how much money he has and what money he needs for what. I suggested a number he might want to have for personal expenses each month. He thought it was high. I suggested he discuss it with his sister since she's out of college and both he and I thought his brother was on the low end of the spending curve. He's been laddering CDs at ING - some of them slated for the monthly expenses.

Then we talked a bit about book expenses. Since it's the beginning of December and he has some extra money, I suggested a a 1 yr CD for second semester books next year. He thought that was a good idea so now he has one called "Frosh 2nd semester books." He may well manage another one this month - a 2yr CD to be called "Soph 2nd semester books."

He's also concerned about setting up money when he's done college so eventually there will be CDs for that. (I think he's gunning to have all his money for college ASAP and as long as he has a job, he should make good progress.) He says he want to live in a city and not have a car as long as possible so he'll eventually have the $500 insurance CD money after college. He knows he'll need money for rent and security deposits as well as utility deposits. He has a pretty good number to shoot for.

Now this kid is not going to be profiled in any articles that are noted on boards at TMF. There's not going to be any outcry about him. Really too bad because he is a teenager and he has it together.

rad

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement