UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: RetireAtFifty Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75880  
Subject: Re: Distribution of a 401k Date: 8/28/2006 10:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hey, are you guys tax auditors?

I paid $84 total federal income taxes. When I first calculated it, I thought I'd be going to jail :-) But it's all legit.

First let me say we live an incredibly frugal lifestyle, one that would make Jeremy Segal, author of "The Millionaire Next Door", jealous. Also, I have almost $1,000,000 in mortgage debt.

We read an interesting article about how to not keep up with the Jones's. We budget $1000 / month for food and $1000 for EVERYTHING else (natural gas, electric, cable, toys, clothes, vacations (camping), gas and oil, etc.). We don't have a lawn service, our cars (which we bought used) are paid off, we pack lunches when we go anywhere - like the zoo, and our non-mortgage debt is mostly at 0% (we get a new 0% card each year). We shop online, expecially Ebay (I'm writing this on a $1400 Dell dual core laptop I got new for $661!) My wife is an AWESOME garage sale shopper, and her and I are on the same page with regard to expenses. We bake our own bread, mend our own clothes (when was the last time you heard someone do that!), grow our own vegetables, and have sex for entertainment! BUT, I am an software engineering manager with a good salary, and throttle my desires for more stuff / junk that we don't need. I like to shop at my neighbors garage sales - they have the best stuff a few years old that is hardly used.

OK, here are the details...In 2004, I refinanced two townhomes that are rental properties with 80% LTV, and bought a $400k home at 80% LTV. I was going to list approximate deduction amounts, but decided that was too personal, so here are the highlights...

Big deductions:
- property taxes (3 properties)
- interest paid (3 properties)
- rental property depreciation on a 27.5 year depreciation schedule (I am deferring taxes on this, and will have to pay tax on this when I sell the properties)

Medium deductions:
- principal paid on rental business (a cost of having the property, does not include primary residence)
- expenses for rental business (advertising, cleaning, maintenance, repairs, association, milage, etc.)
- points paid on 1 primary residence purchase, 1 primary residence refi (hey, interest rates were lower), and 2 rental property refi's)
- 401k contributions

Small deductions:
- cash contributions to church and K-Love ratio station (non-profit)
- non-contributions to amvets, salvation army, church
- $3,000 per year for previous stock losses (max allowed) (from dot-bomb crash) (and why I joined TMF this year - did you know your TMF subscription is tax deductable?)

Add on top of that my wife doesn't work, and we have three kids five and under (who don't care if they have garage sale clothes and toys). We don't have day care expenses, and my wife makes her own games and crafts for our kids - she is AWESOME! and a major part of why we are successful.

Now that I have YOUR attention, can I get feedback on MY question???
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

My Big Fat Greek Splat
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement