UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: amynorcom Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25048  
Subject: Re: Self-Made Cells Date: 2/16/2001 3:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hey Becky,

I'm going to admit I've totally forgotten all this 'family', sub-family stuff.
How do 'species'(all the Bible gives us) relate to all this. My contention is that there IS evolution within species, but no evolving into another species, by natural means any way. So, for instance, could the hippo, peccaries and pigs (if they could find a way!) reproduce?

Ok, first things first; an example of the taxonomy of the Philippine warty pig :

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Artiodactyla
Sub-Order: Suina
Family: Suidae
Genus species: Sus philippensis
Common Name: Philippine warty pig

Philippensis is the species name in this example, but we use the genus and species names together to label living things. This is how all living things are classified.

The actual definition of a species is simply a group of organisms that can mate and produce fertile offspring.

Here's m-w.com:

===

Main Entry: 1spe·cies
Pronunciation: 'spE-(")shEz, -(")sEz
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural species
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin, appearance, kind, species, from specere to look -- more at SPY
Date: 14th century

d (1) : a category of biological classification ranking immediately below the genus or subgenus, comprising related organisms or populations potentially capable of interbreeding, and being designated by a binomial that consists of the name of a genus followed by a Latin or latinized uncapitalized noun or adjective agreeing grammatically with the genus name (2) : an individual or kind belonging to a biological species

http://www.m-w.com/

===

So the answer to this one...

So, for instance, could the hippo, peccaries and pigs (if they could find a way!) reproduce?

...is no way, girlfriend. They'd never interbreed in the wild, and you have to stay within the same species to produce non-sterile offspring.

Kingdom
Phylum
Class
Order
Sub-Order <--- hippos, pigs, and peccaries share this
Family
Genus
Species<--- which is waaaay different from this.

My contention is that there IS evolution within species, but no evolving into another species, by natural means any way.

I don't think I understand what you mean in this sentence. Maybe you could elaborate on your definition of evolution/evolving.

Take care,
Amy

P.S. I'm jealous that all you guys got to have pet pigs. I've wanted a pig since age 6 when I read Charlotte's Web.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement