UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: jesserivera67 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76396  
Subject: Re: nondeductible IRA - Useless? Date: 12/21/2004 5:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hey Bill,

I think you've had a very hard day. ;-)

Wasn't talking about the Roth. I think it would definitely make sense in a Roth. Whole new set of rules there since you're pulling everything out tax free just like you're saying. I don't qualify for a Roth though so a T-IRA is all I qualify for...non-deductible at that.

non-deductible means that I've got a 401k and make over the specified amount in publication 590. See below for excerpt.

Nondeductible Contributions

Although your deduction for IRA contributions may be reduced or eliminated, contributions can be made to your IRA of up to the general limit or, if it applies, the spousal IRA limit. The difference between your total permitted contributions and your IRA deduction, if any, is your nondeductible contribution.

Example

Tony is 29 years old and single. In 2004, he was covered by a retirement plan at work. His salary is $52,312. His modified adjusted gross income (modified AGI) is $60,000. Tony makes a $3,000 IRA contribution for 2004. Because he was covered by a retirement plan and his modified AGI is above $55,000, he cannot deduct his $3,000 IRA contribution. He must designate this contribution as a nondeductible contribution by reporting it on Form 8606.

Given those requirements I can still contribute up to the maximum to a traditional IRA but I can not deduct it on my taxes later on. I think that was all Mark was saying. I forgot about REIT's though and he's right in that those could and should be left in.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement