Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFTardior Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 711  
Subject: Re: Buffett buying YUM?? Date: 2/12/2000 6:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hey Brian,

I think that your thinking is right on. Tricon had to make this kind of move, and, provided that it is well-executed, it may well turn out to benefit the shareholders. If they successfully retain the more profitable units and sell the less for a reasonable price, they'll emerge lean, mean, and not too far in-between.

But what will be the level of their revenues at that point? How fast will they grow? How much debt will they retain at the end of this divestiture? They still have $2 billion plus in LT debt (probably; it was $2.5 when we last heard), and the divestiture they have left won't finish it off, if the past payoff rate continues. How will they pay off the rest? Will their foreign ventures find acceptance in the various markets? They seem to have so far, but will it continue? Have we been seeing a temporary bump because they're exotic?

You're a better man than I if you can answer these questions and estimate the company's likely growth going forward. That uncertainty is why investors have shied away, and probably will continue to do so until the situation stabilizes.

Management seems to have a good grasp of the situation, so there is hope. I would feel better about it, however, if they would talk forthrightly about the company's problems rather than celebrating high operating earnings. I want to know that they know how delicate their position is. I want to hear their vision of the future, after the divestiture.

That's why I was disappointed by the earnings announcement, and why I insisted upon laying out clearly the situation as I saw it. At least, I think we can agree, it has inspired folks on this board to take a hard look at the company. If your conclusion is that management has its rudder pointed in the right direction, great. You'll be the big winners here, when the turnaround comes. Me, I'm going to sit on the sidelines a while longer, until I have a clearer idea of where this company is going.

Fool on!
BrianZ
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement