Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: WileyWildcat Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 82256  
Subject: Hey Chez I need help!!! Date: 12/6/2002 8:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hey Chez,
I need alittle bit of assistance, our youngest daughter gave me a Christmas list of just 5 small things she would like to have, but one of them I have never heard of, she wants a bottle of "Fish Sauce", she goes out to eat for Chinese several times a month and she likes this sauce, Do you have any idea what she is talking about? Or where I might look to buy a bottle? She said it's good on egg rolls etc.
I am at a end.
Can you help????????
Grace and Peace,
Miz Wiley
Print the post Back To Top
Author: blueberryhill Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14047 of 82256
Subject: Re: Hey Chez I need help!!! Date: 12/6/2002 8:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Hi Miz Wiley, I'm not Chez but have you tried this link....
http://importfood.com/

Author: WileyWildcat Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14053 of 82256
Subject: Re: Hey Chez I need help!!! Date: 12/6/2002 9:09 PM
Thanks for the link, and so fast, Thank You!!!
But, I need to talk with our daughter, there are different kinds of fish sauce according to this link,,, Ummmmm I don't know what she wants now. Oh these girls always send me after something that I have no idea what I am looking for,,,,
Oh well, I guess that is part of being the Momma!!!
I'm on the cell phone now calling,
Grace and Peace,
Miz Wiley

Author: blackmare Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14054 of 82256
Subject: Re: Hey Chez I need help!!! Date: 12/6/2002 9:10 PM
Wiley,

Most grocery stores, as far as I know, don't carry the fish sauce you're looking for. I know what it is though, and it's pretty good...actually it's usually something you get in Thai and Vietnamese restaurants, more than in Chinese places.

Anyhow, check your local yellow pages and see if there's an Oriental food store in your area. If there is, they've got it. If not, another "specialty" food shop may carry it; call around.

Happy hunting! :-)

Mare

Author: WileyWildcat Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14055 of 82256
Subject: Re: Hey Chez I need help!!! Date: 12/6/2002 9:13 PM
Thanks Mare,
I guess Krogers would not carry this, so I'll call around. Do you have it in your neck of the woods ?
If so let me know!
Grace and Peace,
Wiley

Author: blueberryhill Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14056 of 82256
Subject: Re: Hey Chez I need help!!! Date: 12/6/2002 9:17 PM
Miz Wiley.....try this link...http://www.google.com they have everything LOL...... good luck figuring out what she wants, they are pretty cheap, maybe you could just get an assortment LOL..... Blue

Author: cnfrost Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14068 of 82256
Subject: Re: Hey Chez I need help!!! Date: 12/6/2002 10:26 PM
Miz Wiley, if memory serves, I believe your fish sauce is traditionally made from fermented fish. You would most likely find it at an oriental grocer, or possibly in the ethnic food section of your larger grocers. I just read about that stuff in a book called Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky. Interesting stuff. They certainly don't make fish sauce like they used to.

Author: chezjohn Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14077 of 82256
Subject: Re: Hey Chez I need help!!! Date: 12/6/2002 11:54 PM
Or where I might look to buy a bottle? She said it's good on egg rolls etc. I am at a end. Can you help????????
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is one of the better ones out there, MzWiley ~ and there are many different brands...and different fish sauces within brands. This one is made from anchovies. Some are made from shrimp, some from squid, etc. It's used a lot in Vietnamese & Thai cooking. http://www.pacificrim-gourmet.com/5056182629.htm

Most of the big grocery stores carry some kind of fish sauce - it's usually found in that lil' section of the store where all the strange bottles of sauces are displayed. I never did cultivate a taste for it - cheap ones are kinda salty and taste like bait. Spend the extra couple of bucks...and get a good one.

Author: blford Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14091 of 82256
Subject: Re: Hey Chez I need help!!! Date: 12/7/2002 4:58 AM
Hey Mrs. Wiley,

I bet Krogers does have the fish sauce. Look in the isle with all the funky foods and you should be able to find it there. They gots lots of weird things in there now.

Good luck!

ßillƒ

Author: ez3 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14095 of 82256
Subject: Re: Hey Chez I need help!!! Date: 12/7/2002 5:46 AM
Hey Miz Wiley!

But, I need to talk with our daughter, there are different kinds of fish sauce according to this link,,, Ummmmm I don't know what she wants now. Oh these girls always send me after something that I have no idea what I am looking for,,,,
Oh well, I guess that is part of being the Momma!!!

Yup, dats being a Momma!

Now will it go wif' Mr. Wiley's catch and da squirrels? Dat's da big question???????????

Worms,,,,,,,, will it go wif worms????????????

just trying to be helpful..........ez3

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14102 of 82256
Subject: Re: Hey Chez I need help!!! Date: 12/7/2002 10:05 AM
she wants a bottle of "Fish Sauce", she goes out to eat for Chinese several times a month and she likes this sauce, Do you have any idea what she is talking about?

From Jeff Smith's book ,“On Our Immigrant Ancestors, “Fish Sauce
A condiment made from fermented anchovies, salt and water that is common in Cambodian, Vietnamese and Thai cooking. The Cambodian version, nam pla, is considered the finest and has the richest flavor. The Vietnamese variety, nuoc nam, more widely available, is milder. The different varieties are interchangeable…” It can be bought online at http://importfood.com/sasq2501.html or http://www.templeofthai.com/thai_sauces/thai_sauces.html. I usually get it at one of the local Asian markets around the New Orleans area. ;-)

C.J.V.

Author: RMCM Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14104 of 82256
Subject: Re: Hey Chez I need help!!! Date: 12/7/2002 10:20 AM
Nuoc nam {fish sauce). It's Vietnamese.

Author: chezjohn Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14106 of 82256
Subject: Re: Hey Chez I need help!!! Date: 12/7/2002 11:20 AM
Recommendations: 4
MrWiley's Tennessee Fish Sauce

Go out to the garage and find an old 2# coffee can....dump the bolts & screws out of it
Fill it about 1/2 full of soybeans (for Hillbilly version use corn ~ for Cajun version use rice)
Find a bottle of MrWiley's *stash*...and pour enough of it in the coffee can...just to cover the soybeans a couple inches 
(if thar ain't enough elixir in dat bottle, keep lookin' ~ MrWiley got lots of bottles of *stash* hid in the garage
Scoop all the dead minnows out of MrWiley's minnow bucket, and throw them in the coffee can
(if y'ain't got no dead minnows, use a can of tunafish)
Throw in a couple handfuls of rock salt, find a screwdriver & stir it up real good
Cover with a brick, and set it in the corner of the garage for 35-30 days...to ferment.
(check it 'er once in a while...'cause if MrWiley runs out of *stash*...he WILL drink it!!)
After 30 days it should be fermentin' real good...strain it through a gunny sack & bottle it up in a Mason jar.
Makes one quart.

Author: bikermike Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14107 of 82256
Subject: Re: Hey Chez I need help!!! Date: 12/7/2002 11:59 AM
This one is made from anchovies. Some are made from shrimp, some from squid, etc. It's used a lot in Vietnamese & Thai cooking. http://www.pacificrim-gourmet.com/5056182629.htm

==========================================

Since Worcestershire contains anchovies, does IT qualify as an AMERICAN fish sauce?

Author: ColonelCAF Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14144 of 82256
Subject: Re: Hey Chez I need help!!! Date: 12/7/2002 3:55 PM
Miz Wiley, ma'am, yuh said, "Ummmmm I don't know what she wants now. Oh these girls always send me after something that I have no idea what I am looking for,,,,"

Well, dere nice young lady ... dere is a solution to dat dillemma. When dey do dat tuh yuh, de bessest way is tuh tip dat waggen plumb ovair. Yuh goes an' gits 'zackly whut yuh knows dey DON'T want but it fer sure sounds 'zackly lak whut dey do want. It am also referred to as "Malicious Obedience". Ah am shore dat a lot uv yo' students have try dat lil' ole trick on yuh. However, when yuh tarn it 'round 'n do it as a superior (Mommy) to a subordinate (betcha y'all din't know Ah could use a big werd lak dat!!) (daughter) dey ain' much dey kin do in retarn. It's called "teachin' dat dog to run a rabbit"!!

How de shinbang comin' along??

DeKernel

Author: cnfrost Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14145 of 82256
Subject: Re: Hey Chez I need help!!! Date: 12/7/2002 4:01 PM
It am also referred to as "Malicious Obedience"

Sigh......I love malicious obedience. Use it all the time at work, and made quite good use of it in the army!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement