Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Tastylunch Three stars, 500 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 16  
Subject: Re: Introducing The Jester Capital Date: 3/31/2008 5:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hey Dan

I had some more thoughts/suggestions about the Jester Cap now that it's had time to percolate through my cranial membranes.Hopefully they will be of some value to you

Seems to me the more I think about it that The Jester Cap can be both a new home page and a fanzine (which it sounds like is your main intent).

basically I think the Jester Capital should have a main page and at least 3 sub pages. Without the sub pages it won't feel much like a publication which is probably why I thought it was just kick-ass new CAPS home page when I first saw it.

Main Page- More or less what you have now with some minor tweaks. The cartoon is pretty funny/apropos but probably ought to be moved from the center of the page. The very sharp stark contrast of black and white lines in the artist's art style somewhat overpowers the rest of the page imho. I think it would also better off if it had a very light background and perhaps was drawn with a slightly lighter colored utensil.

If the jestercapital is really going to be a CAPS tab you'll probbaly need to tweak the color scheme (which is too bad since I like it) so it fits in with the rest of CAPS. You'll probably need to add some white negative space and maybe some yellow/orange hues.

Additionally if you decide to use my suggestion of sub pages you'll need a way to link to them off your main page, whether it be more tabs or direct links.

Page 1 Leaderboard/Caps Trends- on this page could basically be All-star movement highlights. You could keep track of the largest movers up and down in the upper echelons of CAPSdom as well as major trends in the allstar verse (e.g. maybe the top players all dogpiled into Bear Stearns week, Or Pureunderperform attracted a 100 new groupies, maybe a good % of them closed picks in silver miners etc).It'd be really useful to have a way to see how CAPS players feel about various sectors (say tech or retail). The tag system is a bit clunky and incomplete. Many top players seem to make heavy sector calls (.e.g. Sinchiruna or DownwithInfidels) I don't know if CAPS has the means to track this info at this time but it'd be cool to see.

Also this page could have top ten lists(with links to to the complete lists)of players using different metrics , e.g. green thumbs only, average score per pick, accuracy etc. A lot of that info is already available on CAPS but is hard to readily access. The key to making this more captivating would be to humanize more than the current lists that are linked to the various charms. Perhaps you could so so my including small versions of the player's icons by their names in the lists or by letting players insert mini smack talk messages beneath their names (e.g. "Even Stephen Colbert don't mess with Specbear!")

Page 2 Blogroll/Community Page- This page would be anchored by a teaser for your topic of the day (which would have a separate page) that you proposed. Additionally It could have an updated version of the latest blog lists, the editor's picks (basically your top5 reiterated), top blogs alltime etc. The key here would be to add color and pictures which you already have done with you jestercapital page. Lastly you could also have a yahoo answers kind of feature where questions could be posed by the community on this page (e.g. "should i sell my NIke???").

Page 3 Stocks and Pitch central- This page would be anchored by your featured allstar of the week and/or a regular columnist (perhaps pencils?) who present writeups on stocks they find interesting. Basically this is where you'd have your All star roundup page as you call it now.

Also this page would include Stocks stats more or less. Which stocks had the biggest gains for the week, losses, attracted the most new ratings, which stocks went from 4 to 5 stars, which stocks gained/lost the most in CAPS ratings etc.

Also You could feature Editor's favorite pitches, new pitches, hot pitches (pitches that are new and popular) and if you are feeling really risque highlight the worst pitches. Finally this page would also be where your fool radio and video pitches should go if room. If there isn't you could always split this page into two or some of this content could be put on the blog page instead.

In order to make the JesterCAp successful I think three factors are paramount, that it be actually in CAPS prominently (my suggestion would be have it replace the current CAPS Home tag) where players can easily access, that it be easy to navigate and that it have daily updated content. I don't think it's a problem to have the jestercapital specific content (like best of the blogs and pencils) be weekly, but having a continually updating leaderboard and community driven features like CAPS Answers would go a long way in keeping the jestercap popular and active.

lastly I think you should consider someplace in the jestercap (heh I keep wanting to call it "Jesterday Today" for some reason) to allow you to flex your own comedy muscles, whether it be writing or in your video segments or wherever.I think it's safe to say you're well liked here so you might as well make take advantage of that. I'm sure you can find ample market insanities to lampoon/deride in your own way.

That's my thoughts about the JesterCapital, hopefully I wasn't too presumptive in my suggestions and that they are of some use to you.Good luck and keep up the hard work it is appreciated.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement