Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hey, Great post...thanks for the info...

It's clear that I need to pay the tax bill out of non IRA dollars.

Did I understand correctly that the conversion HAS to occur before 31 Dec 2000 which means there is NO WAY to exactly gauge how much I should convert?????

Also, if I decide to convert only part of one IRA in order to avoid a higher Tax bracket, how do I go about specifying which part? In other words, How do I and the IRS know if what I convert is part of the nondeductible or deductible parts of the IRA (since I have both mixed in there)?

Thanks again,
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.