Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: edyboom223 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide CAPS All Star SN Explorer 1 Mission Team Member Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 123140  
Subject: Re: IRA contribution with foreign income? Date: 2/27/2011 5:32 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

I am in the same situation as you. I am an English teacher in Korea, so my income is all foreign. I had this discussion with a friend recently, and he said that I cannot contribute to an IRA. If I do, there are consequences. The following is a link that he sent me. It describes when you can contribute to an IRA. Also, it describes the consequences of contributing when you technically cannot. Additionally, it describes how to fix the problem if you contributed when you shouldn't have.

Specifically, this part will apply to me in the future:

"A contribution you made in violation of the above rules is called an “excess contribution.” A 6% excise tax applies when excess contributions are made to traditional or Roth IRAs. This tax is applied for each year that the contribution remains in the account.

Example: In 2008 and 2009 you incorrectly contributed $3000 per year to your Roth IRA. You will owe $180 tax for each year that each contribution remains in the account. It should have been paid with your tax return each year, but if that didn't happen you can file Form 5329 on its own (without amending your full tax return) for each prior year necessary. In this scenario, if you discovered your mistake (but did not correct it) in 2010, you would owe $180 for 2008, $360 for 2009, and another $360 for 2010."

To me, you brought up an excellent point! I can use profits from capital gains to count towards taxable US earnings. Or at least, I hope so! Because of this, I can at least lower my taxable "punishment" - the 6% tax. I maxed out my Roth at 5k, but I earned 2k in capital gains which I believe are US taxable income. Therefore, instead of paying 6% on 5000 = $300 per year, I can pay only 6% on 3000 = $180!!!

Hmm...I wonder if I could pay this excise tax every year rather than as a lump sum when I finally take a year or 2 off to stop funding it. That would be much easier than paying a huge lump sum at the end!

Anyways, you brought up an excellent point, and I hope that I at least helped answer your questions a little bit.

By the way, where are you working that your income is all foreign?

Fool On

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.