UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: DollarIQ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5550  
Subject: Re: Why Are You Giving? Date: 12/19/2000 3:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hey, I'm late to this, but noticed this thread from the 12/18/00 Foolanthropy.

I ditto what most of the other posters have already said. For a more personal explanation of "Why Are You Giving?", I would respond with I give not to help others, but to help myself. Contradiction? No, not really.

In donating to Foolanthropy, I reassure myself of my ability to impact other people, whether positively or negatively. Through the wonderful Motley Fool's Foolanthropic and careful selections, my fairly modest financial gesture can wield incredible benefit and influence to others. For the lack of $20 or so, a few family overseas suffers and struggles. With the gift of $20 or so, the same family can relieve their suffering and simultaneously find a way to avoid the same predicament again, by the very "F"oolish way of learning to improve one's own condition and environment, trickling down to others. Bottom line, diminish suffering and improve self-reliance, while the positive changes slowly trickle down and affect their surrounding communities.

Also, Foolanthropy is also the ultimate in making my money work the most effectively, the highest value for cost spent possible, which is in my opinion the ultimate embodiment of LBYM goals. Being able to help others with a relatively modest donation of $20 or so, my money lasts seemingly indefinitely... $20 in my own pocket loses it impact, perhaps even memory of it's existence disappears without a trace. On the other hand, $20 to one of the very frugally judicious Foolanthropic charities is used ultimately to appreciate in value, in effectiveness, in appreciation... not dollar-wise literally, but in social impact or in human costs.

I choose Foolanthropy over other charitable options because of the "F"oolish emphasis and focus; it makes me feel that my compassion for these causes will find a way to be fulfilled, and not lost in administrative costs or go up in flames in a bureaucratic pergatory, not to be seen and used by those the funds were given to aid.

Thank you, TMFSelena, Foolanthropy, the Gardners, and the Motliest of all Fools, The Motley Fool. :)

Best wishes, DollarIQ
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Activist Investors Unlocking Value at LSB Industries?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement