UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: FoolishAttorney One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7822  
Subject: Re: Back in the saddle.. Date: 12/28/2001 8:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hey $IQ! Good to hear from you! Sorry to see this board isn't as busy as it had been. I remember when we had a "gang" on here, Tony included, but hey, that was before life threw us a few curve balls, especially we NYers. I was on the computer doing some work at home working on a frien's web site for his law office, and decided to stop back in, and see what the Fools were up to this Holiday season.
I note that you joined on 9/11. As a native NYer, whose wife works 2 blocks from the WTC, and who was a frequent traveller to the WTC myself, and had friends who worked (and died) there, that is a day I will never forget. But I have been a Fool since well before that. Years before, in fact. Besides being FoolishAttorney, I was also known as FoolishVenturist, and perhaps one or two other names, (and some that others called me which I can't mention!). I wrote a few guest articles for the Drip Port a few years back. I made a few friends here, one of which I went into business with in an online cruise information web site, and the other, Phil Weiss, I hope is doing well- I know he was very involved with TMF when I knew him.

Like others, I got bitten by the bug to get involved in the internet, but, having a full-time job, I just couldn't figure out how. I first thought perhaps to shift my career from law to business, and sought to go back to school to get an MBA. I attended the Kaplan course to take the GMAT and had my application for business school almost all filled out in fact. Around the same time, I was also interested in web development and had started to read some posts from a local web artists' group, and through the group met a woman who had an idea to run an incubator for women-owned tech businesses. I ended up working with her part-time (though it was often more like full time) doing business development, marketing, reading business plans for proposed incubated companies, doing press and working on our own business plan, physical plant and incubator space, etc. I gained a lot of hands-on knowledge of business being "one of the team" of the incubator, which was located across the river in Hoboken, NJ (great Italian food there on Washington Street, btw!). Worked very hard on it for about a year, setting up alliances, partnerships, attending meetings, and getting tenants. Things were going quite well for a while. Of course, all that ended with the crash of the market and deflation of internet and tech related stocks in general, along with the drying-up of capital for such ventures, but it was quite an adventure and quite an experience! (Sorry it wasn't as "spicey" as you might have hoped!).

I'm glad to hear that Tony's demise was averted! Having been involved in the internet business through this experience I understand only too well the cutbacks and setbacks that internet businesses sustained. I am sorry to hear that others did have to be let go, and hope that they have been fortunate to secure new positions. As for myself, having always been just a plain ole' Fool here, I hope to be able to stop by every now and then!

All the best!

FoolishAttorney
(Nelson)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement