Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 442362  
Subject: Hey Mom! Great Toy Idea! Date: 5/1/2013 2:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
US boy, 5, accidentally shoots and kills sister, 2

A five-year-old boy who was playing with a .22 caliber rifle he'd been given as a gift accidentally shot and killed his little sister in their Kentucky home, officials said. The shooting happened Tuesday in rural Cumberland county and the two-year-old girl was rushed to a hospital where she was pronounced dead, the state police said.

Cumberland County Coroner Gary White identified the girl as Caroline Starks and said the children's mother was cleaning the house at the time and had stepped outside onto the porch.

The rifle had been given to the boy last year and was kept in the corner of a room. The parents didn't realize a shell had been left in it.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gXHCXPOn6...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: rmhj Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 421993 of 442362
Subject: Re: Hey Mom! Great Toy Idea! Date: 5/1/2013 3:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
A five-year-old boy who was playing with a .22 caliber rifle he'd been given as a gift accidentally shot and killed his little sister in their Kentucky home, officials said. The shooting happened Tuesday in rural Cumberland county and the two-year-old girl was rushed to a hospital where she was pronounced dead, the state police said.

A five year old was given a .22 as a gift?! And his parents let him keep it?

That's insane. No gun -- not even a .22 -- is a toy.

rj

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 421994 of 442362
Subject: Re: Hey Mom! Great Toy Idea! Date: 5/1/2013 3:50 PM
Recommendations: 0
I know it sounds callous, but it's natural selection at work.

I wonder what the attitude of the parents towards firearms is now. Maybe they're thinking trigger locks and gun safes are a good idea??

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 421996 of 442362
Subject: Re: Hey Mom! Great Toy Idea! Date: 5/1/2013 5:00 PM
Darwin strikes again.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 421998 of 442362
Subject: Re: Hey Mom! Great Toy Idea! Date: 5/1/2013 5:51 PM
Recommendations: 49
I don't see why the 2-year-old was unarmed. Shouldn't she have had the chance to return fire?

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 422000 of 442362
Subject: Re: Hey Mom! Great Toy Idea! Date: 5/1/2013 6:06 PM
Recommendations: 23
I don't see why the 2-year-old was unarmed. Shouldn't she have had the chance to return fire?

probably Obama's fault

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 422008 of 442362
Subject: Re: Hey Mom! Great Toy Idea! Date: 5/1/2013 10:04 PM
Recommendations: 3
A five year old was given a .22 as a gift?! And his parents let him keep it?

It's Kentucky. Things are different there.

The article mentions that gun manufacturers are now targeting (pardon the pun) kids that young with "small size" and even "pink for girls" guns because, you know, 12 or 13 just isn't young enough when you're in the business of manufactured death.

Author: rmhj Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 422011 of 442362
Subject: Re: Hey Mom! Great Toy Idea! Date: 5/1/2013 11:43 PM
Recommendations: 1
rmhj: A five year old was given a .22 as a gift?! And his parents let him keep it?

Goofyhoofy: It's Kentucky. Things are different there.

The article mentions that gun manufacturers are now targeting (pardon the pun) kids that young with "small size" and even "pink for girls" guns because, you know, 12 or 13 just isn't young enough when you're in the business of manufactured death.

Apparently they are different now. All of my paternal aunts and uncles hail from just over the Tennessee border of Kentucky, but none of them was taught to shoot until the age of 12. All of them *were* taught to shoot at the age of 12, including the girls. And the family had two guns: grandpa's rifle, and the .22 rifle they all learned to shoot with.

rj

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 422026 of 442362
Subject: Re: Hey Mom! Great Toy Idea! Date: 5/2/2013 10:54 AM
Apparently they are different now. All of my paternal aunts and uncles hail from just over the Tennessee border of Kentucky, but none of them was taught to shoot until the age of 12. All of them *were* taught to shoot at the age of 12, including the girls. And the family had two guns: grandpa's rifle, and the .22 rifle they all learned to shoot with.

I was shooting a 22 around age 5. At age 12, I had already taken a hunter safety class and was going on my first hunt. In PA, the age limit was 12 to hunt. Here in NC, there isn't an age limit.

PSU

Author: JamesBrown Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 422038 of 442362
Subject: Re: Hey Mom! Great Toy Idea! Date: 5/2/2013 12:33 PM
A five-year-old boy who was playing with a .22 caliber rifle he'd been given as a gift accidentally shot and killed his little sister in their Kentucky home, officials said.

Guns don't kill children. Children kill children.

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 422042 of 442362
Subject: Re: Hey Mom! Great Toy Idea! Date: 5/2/2013 12:46 PM
Guess Ralphie didn't shoot his eye out.

Author: Gerazzo One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 422079 of 442362
Subject: Re: Hey Mom! Great Toy Idea! Date: 5/2/2013 7:05 PM
Who's Ralphie?

Author: 10talents Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 422104 of 442362
Subject: Re: Hey Mom! Great Toy Idea! Date: 5/3/2013 9:37 AM
Who's Ralphie?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085334/?ref_=sr_1

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement