UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: tketola Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 189920  
Subject: Re: Email For All Date: 9/30/2012 9:58 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hey RaptorD2,,,

Allow me a rookie question. What are my options for aggregating all my email for use on any device? Does it have to be web-based, or can I open an email file from a desktop used as a poor man's server?

Well, what warrl already told you is pretty much correct and covers just about all your options.

However, judging just from the fact that you asked this question, I would say your best and the easiest way, is to just go with something like the Google's GMAIL Service, and optionally use the IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) service, option.

The option, going with your own Mail-Server and mail processing, can get pretty complicated in hurry, and expensive, and you do need to be pretty Tech Savvy, or else you would need to hire someone to do it for you.

The easiest and least expensive way, is to use services like Google's GMAIL, that are capable of doing IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) service. Because, using Service like Gmail is Free, and you can just setup an IMAP-GMAIL/Account at Google and on your devices, i.e., Desktop, Laptop, Tablet, Smart-Phone, etc., and then just Log into Gmail and all the Emails will be Synchronized and Updated, for any changes made from any other device, and now you have access to all your Up-To-Date e-mails, from any of your Devices. So that, anything you do from one device, like sending, deleting e-mails, will get Synchronized again on your other devices, next time you Log them on to GMAL.

Also, you can just use GMAL as Web-Mail via your Browser, no e-mail-clients involved, then you can just use the other Smart-Device Browsers to Log into GMAIL anytime, anywhere, also no IMAP option needed, and you don't need to do much of anything except setup the GMAIL Account.

Going this route, you don't even need to change any of your existing e-mail accounts, you can setup GMAIL to go and get your mail from the other accounts, provided they support POP3, and then you will have all your e-mail in one account, that you can then access from any of the portable devices. However, not all email accounts, i.e., like Free Hotmail, support POP3.

Just my 2 cents...

TK...
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Nu Skin Showing its Age?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement