UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: tketola Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 190818  
Subject: Re: Firefox Date: 6/11/2014 4:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hey rharmelink,,,

"It's usually about 2.5GB of memory usage where FireFox crashes on me. When I restart, it's only using about 400MB or so (with my four standard tabs open). But I have times when I have 50 or more tabs open.

FireFox v28 only rarely used more than 1GB of memory."

Well you didn't tell us what OS/Version you are using, Windows, Linux, Etc., and on what kind box it's running, and with how much RAM, etc.

However, I think that those Memory/RAM usage numbers for Firefox are way out of line, and I don't believe this is pure Firefox problem, you have something else going on in that BOX.

I'll give you some examples of my Win-7/64-Bit/Pro Desktop's RAM usage numbers, with various Browsers. My Desktop Processor is 6-Core, AMD-Phenom-II X6 1100T 64/Bit @ 3.3/Ghz, with 8/GB RAM, and a 7200/RPM disk drive. It's a pretty responsive Box, but it's not a Gaming-Machine by any means.

When I load Firefox/V30, with a Single-Blank-Initial-Page, no internet access required, it uses 142.644K/RAM, With 15 Tabs(or New Windows) Open, it uses or grows to 387,176K/RAM, and with 20 Tabs(or New Windows) Open, it uses or grows to 470,464K/RAM.

So then, I opened 4 Browsers, with 20 tabs open, in each one, Google-Chrome, Iron-Chrome, I.E./V-10-64/Bit, and Firefox/V30. Besides, having Thunderbird, BitDefener-Pro/AV In-RAM Scanning Real-Time, MalwareBytes-Pro In-RAM Scanning Real-Time, TeamViewer, KeePass, Karens-Replicator, and a bunch of various In-RAM Utilities running, a total of 146 Processes running, and a total of 80 Browser Tabs Open, I still have around 3/GB of RAM available, so the System is now using 5/GB of the 8/GB total that I have. Also, I don't see any performance degradation at all, there in fact probably is some, but I don't see any as an External User!

Also, Firefox allocates new Context-RAM for each TAB (or New-Window) and just Grows the Original Process in size.
The other Browsers, Google-Chrome, Iron-Chrome, I.E./V-10-64/Bit all create a new Child-Process and allocates RAM for each instance.

The RAM usage for those 4 Browser are relatively close. In just Eye-Baling the numbers, looks to me that I.E./V-10-64/Bit and Firefox use slightly more RAM, but none of that is significant.

So anyway, those numbers should give you some sort comparison point, and yes, you mileage will vary.

Also, all those numbers, that I used, come from the Process-Explorer, and not the Windows Task-Manager. Windows Task-Manager numbers are not that accurate, it doesn't account for a processes' various working set allocations, etc.

As an example, right now I have the Process-Explore showing Firefox at 470,464K/RAM and the Windows Task-Manager is showing it at 413,804K/RAM, with nothing changing. However, Windows Task-Manager number will work fine as Ball-Park numbers!!!

TK...
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement