Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: XMFUberman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 649  
Subject: Re: New puter Date: 2/25/2008 9:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hey there!

Just built a new rig myself. Not so different from the one you built, except for a few philosophical differences:

1) I'm not going to move my computer around anymore--no LAN parties, I let the parties come to me ;) --so I went with a big, heavy, quiet case. I love it. It's the Antec P182.

2) Very few apps take advantage of multicores, but all apps take advantage of clock speed. I went with a faster dual core, with bigger cache, than a slower quad core. But I also made sure my motherboard would support the quad core if I upgrade later.

3) ditto on your choice of RAM. DDR3 does not make sense. Yet.

4) I still use a Raptor (10k) drive for my system/apps drive, and a slower 7200rpm SATA for data storage. I'm not sure the heat and noise of a faster drive is going to be worth it in a small case.

5) Seriously doubtful that your 8800GT will fit in an SFF case. I bought the exact same card, then pried the heatsink off of it and fit an aftermarket passive one. My cooling didn't get worse at all. The downside was the included adhesive for the RAM heatsinks was horrible, so I used superglue. Yeah, um....yeah.

6) I can't wait to hear how you like that heatsink. One thing to keep in mind: it is ginormous and heavy, and if you really are going to move your case around a lot, I'd be scared of cracking the die (or your motherboard).

7) That power supply is way overkill. Get a modular supply instead. They're wicked cool. I got the Enermax Liberty, which is semi-efficient.

8) I went with Vista x64 too, no problems so far. I need more RAM to really take advantage, though.

Josh
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement