Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: MorrisBL Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121335  
Subject: Re: Need some GOOD tax advice!!! Date: 2/8/2001 11:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hey TMFExRo! Thanks for the reply. It was a really big help and I appreciate the advice from someone other than my lawyer who I don't believe is very educated on this matter (as well as many others and I'm currently looking for new representation but that's another story...)

But to clarify my situation. I am currently still legally married but also legally separated and have been for almost 2 yrs. I'd love to be divorced as you recommended but a combination of poor legal representation coupled with her disability claim - the judge asked that we wait for 6 more months (she has a "temporary totally disabled" doctor slip for that time period) to see if her condition improves or gets better so that he can better determine if awarding permanent alimony is appropriate or not. And, of course she maintains coverage under my health insurance in the meantime. Anyway, that's why I'm still married after 2.5 years.

A little clarification on the house: The house was eventually foreclosed on - Nov 2000. I had a buyer ready for settlement, I get the ex to eventually move out after some two months and lots of legal maneuvering and then she immediately leaves the state for three weeks and doesn't get "Power Of Attorney" arranged, finally comes back and then doesn't show for the closing so... the buyers walked out. I had no other buyers, had been supporting a two income home with one income for well over a year and finally exhausted all my finacial options and had no other choice but to throw my hands up. I just couldn't make the payments any longer - I just couldn'tcontinue to basically support two households (mind you I was working two jobs all this time) So, on about June 15th my daughter and oldest son in college (who had previously lived in the marital home with the ex) moved in with me and have continued to live with me for the remainder of the 2000 tax year. Question? Can I, by law, claim both of the two older children for the year without any approval or aggreement from the ex. Also, what about my youngest who lived with her the entire year? I'm guessing she can claim him if she so chooses even though it will not benifit her in the least and there is nothing legally I can do. Correct? Could I legally claim the yougest as HofH? Does it require her consent.

Based on this new information, does your earlier assesment still hold? I'm mostly concerned about the dates that the kids lived with me vice with her and if that gives me a legal right to claim them without her consent??

Thanks again for your advice, it helped and enlightened me greatly.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Ringing the NASDAQ Bell
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement