No. of Recommendations: 0
OK, have you guys seen this show?? It's House Hunters International on the HGTV cable channel. For many years (or however long it's been on), I used to simply skip over it while channel surfing. A few months ago, I just happened to watch an episode by luck. I was hooked. It was the same thing with Pawn Stars on the History Channel, never thought I would like it....but love it now.

But I can understand how I would actually like Pawn Stars. It's got the bidding on a prized object thing, rich history, a bit of drama...the personalities of Chumlee and the Old Man (albeit played up for the camera). But for the life of me, I don't really quite understand why I love House Hunters International. It's usually a nameless, non-descript couple that's looking to move overseas (mostly from the US) to some distant country because they have a new life calling, starting a new business, or moving for work.

And they, with the help of a native real estate agent stationed in the new country, visit these 3 potential homes.....and within 30 minutes decides where to spend their $300,000. LOL

But I don't understand why I like it so much. It certainly must have high ratings.....you see these marathon reruns all the time on HGTV.
Print the post Back To Top
We've been watching it for years and have our DVR set to record each new episode. Some are quite interesting, especially when they give you glimpses of places you haven't been to or enjoy being reminded of -- and they've ranged just about everywhere, including your home town of Ulan Bator.

--fleg
Yeah, I think you're right. It's the whole exotic, foreign locale that people find so interesting.....mix that exoticism with the practical reality of having to locate a home constrained by a budget and location......makes for an interesting mix of a show.

Now, if they had a domestic House Hunters - Texas Edition show whereby the couple is choosin' over cookie-cutter houses in the Dallas suburbs of Plano vs. Richardson.....both within a block of a 7-Eleven, a Panetta Bread, five Starbucks, an 5-minute drive to a Super WalMart, and a fine, fine school district....well, the ratings probably would be so high.
Now, if they had a domestic House Hunters - Texas Edition

I've seen a number of home searches in Texas on the regular House Hunters. One in particular that I found amusing was an upscale couple oohing and ahhing over the view from the backyard of an expensive house in Austin. It was a view of a mostly flat horizon with a few barely perceptible ripples in it that had some trees on them. If people are willing to pay for a "view" like that, what does that say about what everyone else has to look at?

--fleg
"Now, if they had a domestic House Hunters - Texas Edition show whereby the couple is choosin' over cookie-cutter houses in the Dallas suburbs of Plano vs. Richardson.....both within a block of a 7-Eleven, a Panetta Bread, five Starbucks, an 5-minute drive to a Super WalMart, and a fine, fine school district....well, the ratings probably would be so high. "

I must be deprived..it takes me 7 minutes if I catch the lights to get to the Walmart Super Center, and I don't even know if we have a Panetta Bread plae. We got Starbucks but the nearest one is likely 9 miles away. But I got a Dunkin Donuts within walking distance. Seven eleven is a good half mile walk......but five minutes in the car. Right next to the Boston Market.

Of course, you'd have to choose between Frisco, Allen, McKinney.....and Plano - the 'established' suburb. Richardson is so 1980s......

or you could 'move on up' to Park Cities or University Heights....if you got a few spare million....

But wait...maybe you'd want a 'horsey ranchette' - 2 acres where you can keep a horse? or a bunch of barking dogs?

t.
We got Starbucks but the nearest one is likely 9 miles away.

Nooooooooo way!!! 9 miles!!! In DFW?? In Plano?

Are you kidding?? You can live in the Mojave Desert and the farthest Starbucks is a 2 minute walk.

I have 4-5 Starbucks within 1/2 mile radius from me. 2 of them less than 1/4 of a mile.
"Are you kidding?? You can live in the Mojave Desert and the farthest Starbucks is a 2 minute walk.

I have 4-5 Starbucks within 1/2 mile radius from me. 2 of them less than 1/4 of a mile. "

---

We got a 7-11 within 1.5 miles in every direction....and some others....but the nearest Starbucks is at least 5 miles away!.....I got 10 different grocery stores within five miles.....

I don't live by a 'main drag'. I'm in between two of them.

I'll google it and see where the nearest one is.....not that I ever go to one except maybe at an airport....or if I'm in the city and can't find a McD or similar.

t.
and some others....but the nearest Starbucks is at least 5 miles away!.....

yeah, I can see that. If you live in the more open, newer sparse neighborhoods, I can see where it could be a ways away.

Well, if you ever need a Frappachino in the morning, tele, I'll bring one out to you. $4 for the Frap and $100 for the 30-minute delievery. <g> Hehe
No. of Recommendations: 3
On the main drag in Long Beach, CA, there are three starbucks within a few short blocks of each other--on the same side of the street--at 4708, 5251 and 6041 E. Second Street.

There are three within walking distance at 3322, 3390 and 4740 E. 7th Street, same city.

fleg, is this a joke?

Starbucks Bans Screenwriters From All 19,435 Locations Worldwide; Writers Guild of America Vows to Fight the Decision

http://hollywoodandswine.com/starbucks-bans-screenwriters-fr...

Starbucks, the international coffee company, announced today that it is banning all screenwriters from its 19,435 locations worldwide, effective immediately. The move comes after a study commissioned by the company revealed that screenwriters not only spent the least amount of money at their coffeehouses, but they also have “a depressing and desperate air about them that spoils everyone else’s experience.”

In addition, the study noted that the highest incidence of stealing packets of Sweet & Low came from screenwriters.

“As of today, all 19,435 Starbucks locations will now be safe from the scourge of screenwriters,” said Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz, who quickly added, “Actually the number is now 19,484 — we added another 49 locations since making the decision.”
We watch House Hunters International and the USA version. I think people just like to see what you can get in other places at what price. That and deciding which house you would chose. I do find it funny that Americans most often complain about how small the bathroom or kitchen is, especially in European places.

We have also started watching Love It Or List It and Property Brothers. Both are educational to a certain extent.

JLC
I checked the STarbucks site.

I gotta go at least 7 miles to get to a Starbucks.

We are deprived in central north Plano....

Of course, if you go to work normally, you'd pass by at least one of them on your way to work probably.....but not necessarily.

Like I said, we got a Dunkin Donuts place 1/2 mile from the house, and 7-11s on every major corner every 1.5 miles in every direction for five miles around.

t.
the nearest Starbucks is at least 5 miles away!

In our neck of the forest we got Peet's. The closest coffee place is a Starbucks, just across the street from the new WalMart grocery store a few minutes away. But there are two Peet's not much farther away, which are preferred because of the superior brew.

--fleg
fleg, is this a joke?

Starbucks Bans Screenwriters From All 19,435 Locations Worldwide; Writers Guild of America Vows to Fight the Decision

It's no joke. When I go to the local Starbucks, I have to hide my screenplays inside a copy of Outdoor Oregon magazine.

--fleg
No. of Recommendations: 2
My wife thinks I'm crazy for watching the show, but when she mentions to our friends that I watch it, they all say that they watch it too. I like seeing other places in the world, including the housing. What I really would like to see is a follow-up show on where the folks are who bought houses in foreign lands a few years ago. I bet more than just a few are broke and gone.
"My wife thinks I'm crazy for watching the show, but when she mentions to our friends that I watch it, they all say that they watch it too. I like seeing other places in the world, including the housing. What I really would like to see is a follow-up show on where the folks are who bought houses in foreign lands a few years ago. I bet more than just a few are broke and gone." - ResNullius

Where ya'll live is pretty nice. A little too cold and snowy in the winter for my liking but a lot of folks seem to like Western North Carolina as a retirement destination. That whole area, North Georgia, Western North Carolina, and East Tennessee is sort of a retirement haven for a lot of folks. People that think Florida is way too hot and humid for their liking so they stop when they get to Western North Carolina and buy a house in the mountains.

Art
the nearest Starbucks is at least 5 miles away!

In our neck of the forest we got Peet's. The closest coffee place is a Starbucks, just across the street from the new WalMart grocery store a few minutes away. But there are two Peet's not much farther away, which are preferred because of the superior brew.

I read a while back that Starbucks' favorite expansion tactic is to find an existing espresso stand that is a bit behind on its rent and make a deal with the landlord to take over the space. Which obviously sucks for the people running the existing stand.

Their second favorite tactic is to be as close as possible to an existing espresso stand so they can take away its business... and if the existing stand can survive the first two months of this, they are virtually guaranteed to do well. Because the presence of Starbucks will bring them more business, and the fact that they have better coffee (nearly all of them do) means that business keeps coming back.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I hate to shatter illusions about this show, but I read an exposé that featured interviews with a few of the house-hunting folks who appeared in episodes. It's all rigged. The house hunters already live in the places they pretend to choose and the show finds two other places they pretend to consider. Sometimes those other places belong to friends of theirs.

My favorite episodes are the ones in which young Americans on a tight budget move to an expensive European city and are shocked to discover how much lower the standard of living is over there. A budget that would get them a nice place in Biloxi or Shreveport only gets them a 250-square-foot apartment in Paris or Rome with a half-sized fridge under the postage-stamp sized kitchen counter and a window looking onto an air shaft, a far cry from the two-bedroom open-concept-kitchen dream home with outdoor space they hoped for before their illusions were shattered.

--fleg
"I have 4-5 Starbucks within 1/2 mile radius from me. 2 of them less than 1/4 of a mile. "

There is a street corner in downtown Vancouver, B.C., where three of the four corner structures are Starbucks outlets, and they're all full all the time. And in downtown Salem, OR, there are two on the same short block.

~aj
Well, if you ever need a Frappachino in the morning, tele, I'll bring one out to you. $4 for the Frap and $100 for the 30-minute delievery. <g> Hehe

I see that someone has found a possible new employment opportunity. <grin>
Starbucks, the international coffee company, announced today that it is banning all screenwriters from its 19,435 locations worldwide, effective immediately. The move comes after a study commissioned by the company revealed that screenwriters not only spent the least amount of money at their coffeehouses, but they also have “a depressing and desperate air about them that spoils everyone else’s experience.”

How the heck are the Starbucks employees going to know who's a screenwriter or not?

A friend of mine is an aspiring screenwriter and I know he goes to Starbucks all the time, takes his laptop with him.
andrew, don't tell fleg you didn't get the joke. ;-)
My favorite episodes are the ones in which young Americans on a tight budget move to an expensive European city and are shocked to discover how much lower the standard of living is over there. A budget that would get them a nice place in Biloxi or Shreveport only gets them a 250-square-foot apartment in Paris or Rome with a half-sized fridge under the postage-stamp sized kitchen counter and a window looking onto an air shaft, a far cry from the two-bedroom open-concept-kitchen dream home with outdoor space they hoped for before their illusions were shattered.

They should try NYC. They probably wouldn't do much better there.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I must be deprived..it takes me 7 minutes if I catch the lights to get to the Walmart Super Center, and I don't even know if we have a Panetta Bread plae. We got Starbucks but the nearest one is likely 9 miles away. But I got a Dunkin Donuts within walking distance. Seven eleven is a good half mile walk......but five minutes in the car. Right next to the Boston Market.

Let's see now... I have no Walmart Super Center really close to me, but the little Walmart Express grocery store that just opened a year ago is about a 7-minute walk from where I live. I have both Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts two blocks from me. Did you guys mean "Panera" Bread? That's a 30-minute walk (1.5 miles). Seven Eleven is about four blocks away, but I don't bother with it as I have quite a few convenience stores even closer than that, including one right in my building... expensive as all heck, though. Boston Market is a bit more of a hike... about 40-45 minutes away (2.5 miles). Whole Foods is about a 7-minute walk... and of course I have lots and lots of independent ethnic and other restaurants within 1 to 2 miles. I hear there are inner-city areas that are so-called "food deserts", but this urban dweller certainly doesn't live in one.
Advertisement