Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mdgrose Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 606  
Subject: Hi Date: 3/6/2002 6:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hi
I am new to this board. I am a New Zealand instructor with about 550 hours, including Muliti IFR. Is there a website, or does anyone have any information regarding converting foreign licences into FAA licences? I have tried emailing the FAA and negotiating their website, but without much luck. Some of the terminology confuses me also. What is the difference between a CFI and a CFII? A CFI here is the Chief Flying Instructor.
Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
Print the post Back To Top
Author: VodounGroove Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 76 of 606
Subject: Re: Hi Date: 3/6/2002 7:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
It would figure you'd already found this board. :-)

Welcome here, too!

Kaiti

Author: wzo Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 78 of 606
Subject: Re: Hi Date: 3/7/2002 12:19 AM
Recommendations: 0
A CFI is a Certified Flight Instructor. A CFI can instruct a student to become a Recreational Pilot, Private Pilot or Commercial Pilot in single engine airplanes.

A CFII has the additonal privilage of instructing a private or commercial pilot to earn an instrument rating.

An MEI, is a multi-engine instructor.

Check out the web site called thecfi.com. It is a great site and provides a steady discussion group for instructors

Author: RoseSmeller One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 79 of 606
Subject: Re: Hi Date: 3/7/2002 10:46 AM
Hi.

The information about getting US FAA licenses is in FAR Part 61, which
you can find on the FAA web site at http://www1.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgFAR.nsf/MainFrame?OpenFrameSet
Under "Current FAR" click "By Subpart" and then select Part 61.

Basically, there are three ways for a foreign pilot to fly in the US.

1) Bring your own airplane. You can fly a New Zealand registered aircraft with a New Zealand pilot license. (Yeah, this probably isn't too practical, but I'll include it in case there are Canadians reading.)

2) You can get a US private pilot certificate issued based a foreign license. Just take a current foreign license to the FAA. This is mostly used by people who are here for a short while and want to fly around on vacation.

3) Take the tests to get a US license. If you want to work here, this is what you'll have to do. For each license, there are minimum experience requirements, a knowledge test (multiple-choice) and a practical test (oral questions and flying). To get a flight instructor certificate you must first have a commercial license with an instrument rating.

The commercial pilot requirements are in Subpart F.

The instrument rating requirements are in Subpart B section 61.65.

Flight instructor requirements are in Subpart H.

Blue skies.
-Barbara (ex-CFI)

Author: mdgrose Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 80 of 606
Subject: Re: Hi Date: 3/11/2002 7:17 PM
Thanks to everyone who posted on the board, or emailed me. Your help has been great.

Thanks,
Matt

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement